We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 days trip in Sicilia

Which Sicily hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
reviews: 105
12 days trip in Sicilia

We are a couple 60 years planning a trip of 12 days by Sicilia. I'm having trouble setting priorities and do not want to keep changing hotel every day or drive more than 3 hours per day. My main questions are:

1 - I noticed that most people who go to Sicily, dispenses west coast, going straight from Palermo to Agrigento. Trapanio and Erice are worth even worth?

2 - I like to enjoy the holiday of Holy Week which, no doubt, must be beautiful but afraid to find museums, etc. restaurates closed due to the holiday! And tourists have the time counted!

3 - If I give up Erice, Cefalu, Ragusa and Modica planning would be greatly facilitated. Am I doing it right? Who can help me to organize 122 days in Sicily.

4 - How many days to reserve Taormina and catania?

Note I arrive in Palermo and Catania delivery

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
1. Re: 12 days trip in Sicilia

Welcome to Sicily NadiaMontagna!

Not true that most dispense with Western Sicily – Western Sicily has much to offer. Erice and Segesta, as well as Selinunte are very much worth the visit. Trapani itself is low on attractions, but a genuine base for experiencing local culture, and also a convenient base for public transport.

Where to go in Sicily?:

tripadvisor.com/…13523165

Trapani and Erice are especially excellent destinations on Good Friday – Erice’s Processione dei Misteri di Erice begins on Good Friday at 14.00 and continues for six hours until 20.00.

Trapani’s Processione dei Misteri di Trapani begins on Good Friday at 14.00 and continues throughout the night for 24 hours until 14.00 on Saturday.

The archeological sites of Segesta, Selinunte, and Agrigento are open every day of the year.

Easter typically begins Sicily’s tourist season, so restaurants are not closed!

So first decide on your destinations, and then allocate your number of days – Do you want to see Erice, Cefalù, Ragusa and Modica?

You can easily take a day trip to Catania from Taormina, or even see Catania prior to your flight.

Your number of days in Taormina would depend on whether you also plan to visit Etna – Taormina is compact and can be seen in a few hours.

Do you plan to hire a car, spend time in Palermo, and also see Siracusa?

You can base in some optimal towns and take day trips rather than move around frequently.

Vagabonda

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
2. Re: 12 days trip in Sicilia

Hi Vagabonda

I see that you're a top master to assist people who want to know Sicily. As a matter of fact I was hoping that you would answer me. My plans are:

Day 1 Arrival in PALERMO late afternoon (no car yet)

Day 2. Palermo (Monreale and city tour)

day 3. Palermo (maybe Cefalu)

day 4. Get a car and drive to Trapani (see Erice on the same day)

day 5 - Trapani (Segesta)

Day 6. Drive from Trapani to Agrigento

Day 7 – Agrigento and surrouds

Day 8 – Drive from Agrigento do Caltagirone (to see Piazza Armerina)

Day 9 – Caltagirone (Ragusa and Modica)

Day 10 – Drive from Caltagirone to Taormina

Day 11 – Taormina

Day 12 – Drive from Taormina to Catania

Day 13 – Catania (Etna)

Day 14. – Catania (to see Siracusa)

Day 15- Leave Catania early monrning

What do you think about this? The problem is: I have only 12 days. What to cut? Ok, you convinced me to go on Holy week. Thanks. I remain

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
3. Re: 12 days trip in Sicilia

Hi NadiaMontagna,

Return to Palermo’s airport for the car hire – Avoid driving in Palermo itself. Palermo’s airport is located west of the city on your way to Trapani.

Begin exploring Erice – You can see Trapani in the morning and at night after day-tripping.

You would only require half a day for Segesta – You might combine Erice and Segesta in one day, but you could spend a full day in Erice.

Caltagirone would serve as a convenient base for exploring Piazza Armerina, Ragusa, and Modica.

Do not base in Catania if you plan to hold the car hire - Base outside Catania if holding the car!

Lot of questions on Catania:

tripadvisor.com/…40030754

Reconsider staying in Catania - Consider dividing your time between Taormina and Siracusa in Eastern Sicily. You can easily day trip to Catania from Taormina or Siracusa. See Etna from Taormina.

What to cut?? Your itinerary is perfectly acceptable as is with the exception of basing in Catania with a car, but you might consider cutting Cefalù so you would enjoy more time in Palermo.

You could also cut a night from Agrigento – One night would suffice in Agrigento.

Store your luggage at your hotel and continue exploring Agrigento on the morning following your 1-night stay, but then move onward for that night to better position for a full day of sightseeing at your next destination.

You could then spend that night in Piazza Armerina. Store your luggage at the hotel and see the Villa Romana del Casale the following morning, and then even move onward to a night in Ragusa or Modica, especially since these towns are best enjoyed by living and experiencing more than day tripping.

If you were to spend a night in Ragusa or Modica, you could then drive onward to Siracusa and then end in Taormina.

Or continue with a base in Caltagirone, but allocate another day for Siracusa.

Kind regards,

Vagabonda

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4. Re: 12 days trip in Sicilia

Hi Vagabonda

Your reviews and advices are straight and so helpfull!. You have no idea how much you helped me. I´m even considering not to visit Catania. At my age I´m avoiding strong emotions (I´ve read things about tourists and their rent cars in this city) !! If you have any tip about restaurants or other things that only locals know, please let me know.

Thanks for everything you put in your answers.

Nadia Montagna

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
5. Re: 12 days trip in Sicilia

Prego e garzie mille NadiaMontagna!

There’s a difference between basing in Catania with a car and not visiting Catania at all!

Park the car at the airport and take the AMT 457 Alibus to the city any early morning but Sunday. Visit Catania’s amazing and colourful fish market (also cheeses, fruits, vegetables, nuts…), explore piazza Duomo and Catania’s historic centre, and then enjoy lunch at one of the trattorie near the market before returning to the airport to collect your car.

www.aeroporto.catania.it/page.php…

These threads offer suggestions of what to see and where to eat.

http://www.amt.ct.it/PercorsieOrari.php

Half day free, before flight from Catania:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k2872…

One Night In Catania?:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187888-i735-k2782…

48 Hours: Catania

Even in winter, this Sicilian city charms with colourful festivities, delicious food and dramatic scenery, says Duncan Garwood.

independent.co.uk/travel/48-hours-in/48-hour…

Buon Natale NadiaMontagna!

Vagabonda

6. Re: 12 days trip in Sicilia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 07, 2014