We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to visit

Which Sicily hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Island of Malta...
reviews: 41
Places to visit

Hi everyone,

We are planning to visit Sicily next summer for a week and need your help.

We will be arriving to Sicily by ferry from Malta to Pozzallo and will be renting a car. Departure will also be from Pozzallo by ferry so we need to stay close, maximum an hour away. Not sure where we should book the hotel. I don't wish to stay in a hotel in Taormina but would like to visit for a day. I would also like to visit Siracusa and Etna Any suggestions on where our base should be and what we should visit?

Thanks!!!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
1. Re: Places to visit

Ciao v31088an,

Siracusa would be an optimal base – Siracusa is an easy drive from Pozzallo, and you could day trip to Taormina, Mount Etna, and the Val di Noto towns (Ragusa, Modica, Scicli....).

What month would you arrive?

Vagabonda

Island of Malta...
2. Re: Places to visit

Hi Vagabonda!!

Thanks for your reply :)

I'm thinking arriving 30 August 2013 and leaving 6 September 2013.

What do you think about Giardini Naxos? I was doing some research and this place came up.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
3. Re: Places to visit

Prego v31088an,

September is a lovely month to visit Sicily!

Giardini-Naxos is a beach resort town and a 2-hour drive from Pozzallo.

Are you interested in beaches?

Siracusa is not a beach destination.

Vagabonda

Island of Malta...
4. Re: Places to visit

Yes very much. What I'm looking for is somewhere near a beach with some shops, restaurants, bars and maybe a bit of nightlife but to be honest I would prefer somewhere with a drive not exceeding one hour. Not sure which place is ideal though as I don't know much about Sicily. I really wish to go to Etna so somewhere near would be perfect.

Thanks a lot for your help Vagabonda! Really appreciated :)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
5. Re: Places to visit

There’s no location that’s going to meet all your requirements because of distance – You could either locate within an hour’s drive from Pozzallo, or stay nearer Etna which would double the driving time from Pozzallo.

There are excellent beaches in Ragusa and Siracusa province – Pozzallo and Marina di Ragusa are Bandiera Blu award winning beaches, and although your drive to Siracusa would be acceptable, you would incur a longer drive on the days you would day trip to Etna and Taormina.

Perhaps select a beach resort nearer Pozzallo to better position for your departing crossing back to Malta, and expect longer drives for the days you plan to visit Etna and Taormina.

This thread and subsequent link (Best beach in south between Siracusa and Ragusa) discusses Sicily’s beaches in this area.

Sandy No Pebbles or Rocks:

tripadvisor.com/…40772758

Vagabonda

Island of Malta...
6. Re: Places to visit

Perfect, thanks a lot Vagabonda!!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
7. Re: Places to visit

Prego v31088an - My pleasure...

Giardini-Naxos would be a good option around Taormina, and you might consider Marina di Ragusa or Pozzallo (not just a seasonal beach resort, but a real town) in Ragusa province.

If you were to decide on Siracusa, which is really best located to meet your day trip destinations as well as Pozzallo, you could consider staying at the Musciara Siracusa Resort, the only hotel in Siracusa with its own private beach - It's lovely!

http://www.siracusaresort.it/

Vagabonda

Island of Malta...
8. Re: Places to visit

Perfect, you've been very helpful! Thanks again!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
9. Re: Places to visit

Always a pleasure v31088an - Enjoy!

Vagabonda

10. Re: Places to visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, December 17, 2013