We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The frustrations of driving in Sicily

Which Sicily hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 22
The frustrations of driving in Sicily

I have just returned from a week in Sicily where a car is essential should you want to explore this wonderful island properly. Driving however is extremely nerve wracking and very, very, frustration.

Pack extra BetaBlockers if you drive in Sicily! I have driven in all parts of Italy but nothing prepares you for the crazy "death wish" drivers of this island. On nearly every journey we encountered these kamakazes who think nothing of overtaking on blind corners and consider the depth of a cigarette paper as the correct distance to place their front bumber against your rear one, regardless of speed!

If that isn't enough to cope with, you must also be aware that signpostng is truly terrible. Usually there will be good signage on the motorways but once you come off do not rely on any of the signs (if there are any) Many point in completely the wrong direction or will take you on a 100km detour. Buy a map and trust only your own instincts as to when to make critical turns. This is particularly true when driving through towns en route Roundabouts are a particular nightmare because suddenly you will have the choice of 3 exits with not a single sign on any of them, so keeping to the right road becomes a lottery.

Good luck and don't even think of not taking out full and comprehensive insurance for your car and your life!

97 replies to this topic
Hungary, EUROPE
reviews: 131
41. Re: The frustrations of driving in Sicily

Ah, okay, many thanks. No, actually we will be coming from the Acireale area.

I will think about Scala dei Turchi, my wife hates such challenging beaches :)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
42. Re: The frustrations of driving in Sicily

The Scala dei Turch is impressive, stunningly beautiful (truly), but consider that it's a 3-hour drive in each direction from Acireale!

http://goo.gl/7B20x

Vagabonda

Hungary, EUROPE
43. Re: The frustrations of driving in Sicily

Yeah, I saw. Quite far away.

Talking about driving in Sicily. How are experiences with LocAuto ?

Autoeurope has best deals with LocAuto lately. I used Europcar and Hertz before, both rented via autoeurope.

cheers, bl4ze

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
44. Re: The frustrations of driving in Sicily

You’ve always been happy with Autoeurope and the large internationally known suppliers (Hertz and Europcar) bl4ze, and when you researched this last year, you came to the conclusion to go with a reputable supplier, which is what you should do this year as well.

tripadvisor.com/…27196827

Regards,

Vagabonda

Hungary, EUROPE
45. Re: The frustrations of driving in Sicily

Yes, but since Autoeurope (which you also recommend using) also brokers LocAuto I thought I would ask. I also tend to rent again with a bigger name like Europcar or Hertz, or Budget if they will have good deals. My primary option is Autoeurope, I like them a lot, reliable broker they are.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
46. Re: The frustrations of driving in Sicily

There is a difference between AutoEurope and AutoEurope UK - The contracts and coverage are different, and they use different suppliers. AutoEuropeUK supplies with Sicily by Car, a company always to avoid, so although AutoEurope is reliable, always question the supplier.

Vagabonda

Hungary, EUROPE
47. Re: The frustrations of driving in Sicily

I use autoeurope.de - same company, different location. And they are not using Sicily By Car *SBC* - they are the worst. But they use LocAuto I noticed.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
48. Re: The frustrations of driving in Sicily

The various AutoEurope sites use different suppliers, so it pays to be careful and also know the suppliers to avoid.

You're conscientious and always do well bl4ze! :-)

Vagabonda

Hungary, EUROPE
49. Re: The frustrations of driving in Sicily

Yeah, I always check the supplier, on some international sites they do not display the supplier which is always risky. And I avoid them :)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
50. Re: The frustrations of driving in Sicily

That's when you contact an agent directly!

Vagabonda

Reply to: The frustrations of driving in Sicily
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted