We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay: Catania or Taormina?

Which Sicily hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wicklow, Ireland
reviews: 22
Where to stay: Catania or Taormina?

Hi, we are going for 4 days but cannot decide where to stay. I have read that Catania can be run down and that Taormina can be expensive!!.

palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
reviews: 7
1. Re: Where to stay: Catania or Taormina?

Hi. Catania and Taormina are two totally different experiences; Taormina is a small (just 10,000 residents) and pricey tourist resort, beautiful and very compact, Catania is a big (pop. almost 400,000, 1 million in the area) port city with many sights to see, can be run down and poor in some areas, and nice and lively in others.

I would suggest to use Siracusa (one of the most beautiful spots on the island) as a base in eastern Sicily for 4 days, visiting Taormina and Catania by bus.

Wicklow, Ireland
2. Re: Where to stay: Catania or Taormina?

Many thanks I hadn't thought of Siracusa. Looks very nice!.

palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
reviews: 7
3. Re: Where to stay: Catania or Taormina?

Siracusa is one of the main reasons to come to Sicily, it will serve you well as a base.

Have a nice holiday!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
4. Re: Where to stay: Catania or Taormina?

biondo has offered perfect advice - Siracusa blends tourism and real life and it's an ideal base with flights to Catania.

Vagabonda

Wicklow, Ireland
5. Re: Where to stay: Catania or Taormina?

Thanks, do you know how easy it is to get to from Catania as we will not have a car.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
6. Re: Where to stay: Catania or Taormina?

Very easy...

Interbus runs direct bus service from Catania's airport (Aeroporto Catania) to Siracusa.

Be sure to check "Ho letto e accetto le condizioni per l'utilizzo del servizio web" and enter a date for the coming week to view schedules.

http://www.interbus.it/Home.aspx

Vagabonda

Wicklow, Ireland
7. Re: Where to stay: Catania or Taormina?

Folks, many thanks for all your help, looks like I will be booking Siracusa!.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
8. Re: Where to stay: Catania or Taormina?

Prego CiaranHughes,

Some earlier threads discussing Siracusa may be helpful…

Siracusa 'rocks':

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187891-i1413-k450…

Trip Report 6-12 October - Greek History Focus:

tripadvisor.com/…22270106

Vagabonda

Wicklow, Ireland
9. Re: Where to stay: Catania or Taormina?

Hi Vagabonda,

Apologies for contacting you through an old forum but I saw some of your posts on Cinque Terre and just wanted to ask your advice.

The information you gave us on Sicily was very helpful and much appreciated!.

I am looking for somewhere to stay in Cinque terre [quiet, not too touristy with good restaurants] but am having difficulty choosing.

Many thanks.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
10. Re: Where to stay: Catania or Taormina?

Hi CiaranHughes,

Good to hear from you and hope all is well!

All the Cinque Terre towns are touristy! The Cinque Terre has become a very popular destination.

Monterosso and Vernazza are the touristiest towns, and since Monterosso has the larger parking areas, tours arrive in Monterosso.

Corniglia is least touristy, but also not positioned on the sea.

Manarola is very beautiful, and although less touristy than Monterosso and Vernazza, Manarola is still popular, but what a gem, and there are also some very good restaurants like Trattoria Dal Billy, and lovely accommodations like La Torretta.

But if you’d like the most non-touristy experience in a genuine town positioned on the sea, then consider Riomaggiore.

Staying in Riomaggiore - The right choice?:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187821-i2522-k283…

Riomaggiore - As Lovely as 14 Years Ago?:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187821-i2522-k313…

And at some later time, consider Tellaro - Tellaro is adorable, very Cinque Terre-esque, but so much more local and the sunsets over the Bay of Poets to die for!!!!

tripadvisor.com/…27651369

All the best -

Vagabonda