We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places to visit in Sardinia in 6 days w/o car

Which Alghero hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brussels, Belgium
Best places to visit in Sardinia in 6 days w/o car

Me and my husband will be going to Sardinia for 6 days end of March. Our first stop is in Alghero, and we need some help planning this trip forward. There are so many beautiful places in Sardinia, we are confused which ones to pick. Also we prefer to avail the public transport instead of hiring a car/scooter. So we need to know which places can be easier to visit.

I was thinking of spending 2 days in Alghero and the next 3 days in either Olbia or Cala Gonone and return back to Alghero on the 5th day.

Any ideas???

alghero
reviews: 1
1. Re: Best places to visit in Sardinia in 6 days w/o car

Mmm...considering that you are not hiring a car I would say that you probably miss a lot of beauty of Sardinia...so in your case I can maybe recommend you 1st day in Alghero 2nd in Stintino (La Pelosa beach), 3rd in Asinara Island (take the ferry from Porto Torres or Stintino itself...don't miss Cala Sabina), 4th day Palau (from here take one of the ferryboat which will let you visit all the small islands of the arcipelago of La Maddalena), 5th day would be good Costa Smeralda although will find difficult to get to some very nice spots, 6th day Alghero again to relax. Calagonone, the south of Sardinia etc are really lovely places but you won't do it...maybe in another visit...I would focus on the North part. Consider that for visiting Stintino and Asinara you can always do one day trip, leaving Alghero as your acommodation. For La maddalena and Costa Smeralda maybe pass one night in some B&B ;)

Brussels, Belgium
2. Re: Best places to visit in Sardinia in 6 days w/o car

Thanks a lot for your reply. This was very helpful. I wish we had more days in hand to travel South of Sardinia as well. But may be next time :)

alghero
reviews: 1
3. Re: Best places to visit in Sardinia in 6 days w/o car

I didn.t notice you are coming at the end of march. Not all the services i told you will be available. And the weather won't be summer-like...you know, i recommended you lot of beaches :) but for the end of march...they are not enjoyable at 100%

cannigione
4. Re: Best places to visit in Sardinia in 6 days w/o car

Hello Sangeeta C. I live in Costa Smeralda, well very close anyway, and as you'll be here for just a day or 2 you will find plenty to keep you occupied. Public transport is slow but you don't come to Sardinia and get in a hurry. :) I recommend La Maddalena and Palau for sure and make your way through Baia Sardinia and Porto Cervo. Beautiful beaches and views are still to be had and there will be lots of movement as the locals get their businesses ready to open for April/ May. Just bring a camera and enjoy the relaxation and amazing views here. You might also be able to rent some MTB if it's not raining. You'll enjoy it. :)

fredericia
reviews: 2
5. Re: Best places to visit in Sardinia in 6 days w/o car

Hi Sangeeta.

Having only 6 days at your disposal, I too would recommend You to concentrate on the northern part of Sardinia. The little fishing town of Stintino, with only a few shops,restaurants etc and Pelosa beach, is wonderful during summer,but probably too dull out of season. Take the first and last day in Alghero. Sassari is worth paying a visit. Take the northern coastal road to Palau. Try out La Ponte Vecchio hotel at the marina. Wonderful beaches nearby at Porto Pollo. Continue eastbound to Porto Cervo and the Costa Smeralde coastline reveals its beauty. Olbia is nothing special, but south of the city You can take the direct highway/motorway back to Alghero via Sassari.

If You do want to go to Cala Gonone, the Blue Marina Hotel at the beach with its wonderful roof-top breakfast-room and splendid seawiev, is a good choice. I stayed there a few days and went down to Tortoli. Fantastic piece of highway in and out the high mountains, but such distances take longer than You would think.

Do consider renting a car at Alghero Airport. An economy car can be rented for less than 150 Euro out of season.

Have a nice trip.

Poul Erik.

Edited: 9:20 pm, February 16, 2013
6. Re: Best places to visit in Sardinia in 6 days w/o car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:00 pm, February 28, 2013
Brussels, Belgium
7. Re: Best places to visit in Sardinia in 6 days w/o car

Thanks everyone... I planned the following

1 & 2 day Stay in Stintino: Visit La Pelosa Beach, Asinara Island, Cala Sabina

3 & 4 day Stay in Palau: La Maddalena Islands, Costa Smeralda

5 & 6 day Stay in Alghero: Local sight seeing.

I wanted to include Cala Gonone for the 5 day... but I am not sure about the public transport. I didn't see any bus timetables and it seems the train services are not available during end of March. You guys think its possible to travel to Cala Gonone on the 5th day from Palau and return to Alghero on the 6th day?

Do you think the above itinerary is possible via public transport ? I have already booked the hotels in respective places.

cannigione
8. Re: Best places to visit in Sardinia in 6 days w/o car

I think it is possible as long as you give yourself plenty of time to get there. Make sure you look at train times and destinations. If I remember right there is a train that goes into Palau from Tempio so definitely have a look. I live in Cannigione which is 15 mins by car from Palau so if you have any questions or are up for a drink I'd be more than happy to meet you guys. Have a great trip. :)

Sardinia, Italy
9. Re: Best places to visit in Sardinia in 6 days w/o car

>Do you think the above itinerary is possible via public transport ?

Great itinerary for June-Sept but not March particularly via public transport..

It's the Stintino / Asinara part that will be most problematical. Not only a much reduced bus service but very few facilities there will be open - La Pelosa isn't very appealing out of season. I'd be surprised if even the Asinara tours will be running.

Likewise La Maddalena islands. La Mad island itself will be ok - it's a normal working town, but there will be very few options to tour the outlying islands. Porto Cervo will feel pretty deserted too.

Furthermore, your itinerary is very much geared to fine weather too. Touch wood, you have 6 days of warm, blue skies. But at that time of year, close to the spring equinox too, you'll be fortunate not to have at least one medium to poor weather da..

I would change Stintino to Castelsardo and perhaps change the emphasis on Palau section away from Costa Smeralda & outlying La Mad islands to include Santa Teresa di Gallura and a day trip to Bonifacio instead.

10. Re: Best places to visit in Sardinia in 6 days w/o car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 03, 2014