We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olbia / Costa Smeralda- which is best location ?

Which Sardinia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
reviews: 1
Olbia / Costa Smeralda- which is best location ?

Hi . My boyfriend and I are travelling to Sardinia in August. I was hoping to stay in Costa Smeralda for about 5 nights but it is too expensive at that time. We are wondering what Olbai is like and if we could visit Costa Smeralda / Santa Teresa di Gallura, for dinner in the evenings? Or is it best to base ourselves in one of these towns on the coast instead?

Essentially looking for nice beaches for the day and then restaurants in cute cobblestone towns for the evening.

Any help appreciated ! Thanks

Perth, Western...
reviews: 275
1. Re: Olbia / Costa Smeralda- which is best location ?

Olbia itself hasn't got great beaches and the town is one of the most polluted of Sardinia. You should move a bit south to Posada, Galtelli or Orosei to encounter great beaches and a bit of history.

Olbia
reviews: 27
2. Re: Olbia / Costa Smeralda- which is best location ?

Hi Aussie11, what pollution are you referring to for Olbia? There is no heavy industry, no military bases. The town is not pretty (it has a very small city centre with two nice churches) and tap water is not drinkable but it is not polluted. La Maddalena is polluted thanks to the NATO base. Stintino and Asinara should be more concerned about pollution because of the petrolchemical industry in Porto Torres and E.on at Fiume Santo.

The beaches north of Olbia (towards Costa Smeralda) and south are amongst the most beautiful in Sardinia, some would say in the world. The list would be too long and I would prefer to direct you to the institutional website of the Region of Sardinia: http://www.sardegnaturismo.it/it/temi/mare?search_api_views_fulltext_dashboard=Olbia&page=0%2C0%2C2&f[0]=field_types%3A22

The list of beaches here is not comprehensive.

@travelforlife27

A good base for you could be Golfo Aranci, a small village with very nice beaches, some of them not accessible by car. Just to mention a few: Capo Figari, Cala Sabina, Spiaggia bianca, Cala Sassari, Capriccioli, Pevero, spiaggia del principe. South of Olbia near Murta Maria village are Porto Istana, Coda Cavallo near the protected marine area of Tavolara, then further south Piccola Tahiti, Puntaldia, Brandinchi, Costa Corallina etc.

Santa Teresa is a pretty village which makes another good base or Palau.

Cobblestone tows are more likely to be found inland (Ozieri is one of them, the town hosts a cultural festival from June to September). I think Castelsardo is a cobblestone town if my memory serves me well and Galtelli for sure and not too far from Orosei should you decide to go to that area.

I would say that Olbia has always been very popular with Italian tourists.

3. Re: Olbia / Costa Smeralda- which is best location ?

Costa Smeralda has very nice beaches but it's very expensive so I suggest you to stay in an hotel in Golfo Aranci because Golfo Aranci is a small town (2,000 people about) that is near Costa smeralda so if you hire a car you could go to Porto Rotondo by car in 10/15 minutes... I have an house in Golfo Aranci so Every summer I go there for 2/3 weeks.. I like it very much so I suggest you to go there ;)

4. Re: Olbia / Costa Smeralda- which is best location ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 08, 2014