We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - 3 Days in Verona

Which Verona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northwich, United...
reviews: 49
Trip Report - 3 Days in Verona

We went to Verona over Easter, arriving on Easter Sunday by train from Paris (overnight train) which I've done a separate review for. I do hope this helps anyone planning a trip to Verona.

Sunday

Walked from the train station to our fabulous little B&B B&B Castelvecchio which was just down the side of McDonalds, in a fantastic location and the only place that was reasonable over Easter that didn't hike their price up, I can really recommend this. It was just past 10am and it was lovely to hear the bells ringing as we walked into Verona. Left our bags at the B&B and first stop was the Arena. We bought the Verona card as there was a number of things we wanted to see. As it was early, we had the arena to ourselves and just took things in, watching the work being done for the Opera (lots of 'work' going on inside, but still didn't take away the feeling you got being inside). It seemed to get busy quickly and when we left there was a huge queue outside! From here we walked through the town, stopping for something from the bakery to grab something to eat 'whilst we walked' then headed over the bridge to Ponte Pietra and walked up the steps for the most amazing view of Verona (despite the weather forecasting rain every day, it was sunny)! Wanting to make good use of the weather, we decided to go a bit off track and walk to the big church on top of the hill (I think it was Santuario Madonna Di Lourdes. The view from here was absolutely stunning and just felt so peaceful and we spent some time here just thinking. It was so quiet and a as we were tired from a restless night on the overnight train, it was just what we needed, although the walk up is steep in places. On the way back down we went into the Teatre Romano and spent some time here. I took a slip on one of the steps though and my knee started to swell up so we took it very slowly back, not before going into Casa di Giulietta and having a picture on the balcony. Touristy, packed full of people, but it's something you start to buy into the whole Romeo and Juliette thing. We returned back and we wandered through the streets, watching the performers. Ashamed to say we had a McDonalds for tea as we were totally shattered at this point and we wanted to sleep.

Monday

We were up early to make use of our Verona card (in hindsight we should have used it more on Sunday but we'd made the use of the good weather which was probably a good thing as it was overcast today). We started with the Tomb of Giulietta (probably the less interesting attraction we saw in my opinion). I've forgot in exactly what order we did things, but we took the opportunity to go inside some of the different churches in Verona. Went to the Church of Anastasia which had the most amazing ceiling, so detailed and just beautiful to gaze at, we also went to San Fermo, Duomo (missing San Zeno, although we did walk to this and wandered around the area of San Zeno which is very different to other parts of Verona but we were all 'churched out'). My favourite was San Fermo, the wooden ceiling of he saints and in particular the lower church which just felt so different than the others). We went up to the Torree dei Lamberti which was average, but the view from Day 1 didn't compare to be honest. We took an early dinner at Ai Lamberti which was just OK, poor service but we just went for convenience. After this we went to the Giorgio Casali exhibition at Scavi Scaligeri. Really enjoyed seeing the photographs given I had no idea about Casali or Domus and also the excavations inside. We headed to Castelvecchio Museum last as it was near our B&B through Via Roma stopping at the various market stalls and a chocolate crepe on the way. Castelvecchio is impressive we enjoyed walking over the walls. We kept trying to phone/email/visit the No1 restaurant in Verona, but no such luck so just grabbed something from a bakery,

Tuesday

Our Verona card had expired, so we took the opportunity to go to the Giardino Giusti despite the weather being overcast. We walked here, and whilst I thought it was a bit overpriced at 7 Euro, we did enjoy it. We were surprised we were the only ones here so had it to ourselves, it's worth a walk and feels very peaceful. We just spent some time people watching today and sat near the Arena watching the lorries arrive and unload the 'armour' for the opera. We wanted to at least have one nice proper meal whilst in Verona. The No1 restaurant still wasn't open and we had tried it Monday and again Tuesday, had phoned numerous times and emailed so we went to the amazing restaurant called Al Pompiere which rates highly on here. We hadn't booked but it was early and we managed to get a table and had the most wonderful meal. Leisurely walk back, taking night pictures of the arena and Lamberti all lit up, felt very peaceful.

Wednesday

Departed Verona by bus for Lake Garda

Summary: I loved Verona, coming very close to Venice, of course, as one of my favourite places in Italy to visit. Also serves as a good base and I would love to return in Opera season.

San Francisco...
reviews: 2
1. Re: Trip Report - 3 Days in Verona

Thank you for that trip report! I found it very helpful.

We'll be there for five nights beginning of September (yes Verdi!) and midway through we'll pick up our car and go visit Lake Garda and probably some wineries.

After Verona it's off to the Dolomites (by car)

uk
reviews: 6
2. Re: Trip Report - 3 Days in Verona

Thank you, I really enjoyed your report, it took me straight back to Verona. San Fermo Maggiore is my favourite church there, too.

Verona is a beautiful, interesting city with so much to see and I get quite irritated when people suggest that the main attraction is "Juliet's balcony".

How did you find the night train?

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 17
3. Re: Trip Report - 3 Days in Verona

Another vote of thanks for sharing your holiday. My husband and I will be spending a couple of nights there in September (Aida for us!) before heading to Venice.

Northwich, United...
reviews: 49
4. Re: Trip Report - 3 Days in Verona

Thanks for the comments, is nice to know people read my trip reports and find them useful. four_maccas, hope you enjoy your trip, I am sure the opera will be amazing, very jealous! Any tips for Sydney NYE, do you mind if I PM you, we could do with some help and notice this is where you are from?

Regarding the night train, I did do a review of this here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…0

As far as it went, OK, seems to have slipped since Thello took over. The night train I did previously from Venice to Vienna was much more comfortable and better standards (think it was Artesia). I am going Paris to Barcelona on the overnight train in a few weeks so will report back on how that goes.

Agree, the balcony is really not the 'best' thing to see in Verona!

Edited: 9:27 am, May 04, 2013
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 17
5. Re: Trip Report - 3 Days in Verona

Looking forward to your message!

6. Re: Trip Report - 3 Days in Verona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 08, 2014