We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Site seeing

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ligonier, IN
Site seeing

Hello again. I was wondering if anyone could tell me any MUST SEE sites in Venice. My fiance and I will only be staying 6 days, so there is not a lot of time for us to meander around the city, (Plus, it's our honeymoon...). :) I would like any information on excellent restaurants as well. My fiance comes from an Italian heritage, and good Italian food is one of his top priorities. Thanks!

Stavanger, Norway
reviews: 105
1. Re: Site seeing

Hi

Venice is not a very big city so in my opinion you will have plenty of time if you stay there 6 days. My wife and I went there in June a couple of years back and the highlight for me during our stay was the "Secret Itinerary��� tour at the Palazzo Ducale (Doge���s Palace). I have posted a trip report with some pictures on my personal homepage http://gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can find some useful information there :-)

Regards

Gard

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
reviews: 81
2. Re: Site seeing

I am sure you will find a lot to interest you. The outer islands - take the vaporetto from Fondamenta Nuova - Torcello, the oldest building in Venice, the cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta started AD 638 with magnnificent murals and the adjacent round church of Santa Fosca (11th century); Burano, colourful village with several excellent fish restaurants; Murano famous for glass blowing,but beware high pressure sales, an excellent Museo dell'Arte Vetrario (get off the vaporetto at Museo landing stage) and a lovely early church close by Santa Maria e Donato with again a fine mosaic floor c.1140AD

Main venice sights - apart from the obvious - San Marco, the Doge's Palace, the Accademia gallery there are many fine things to see all over Venice

Must sees - Frari in San Polo and adjacent Scuola Grande di San Rocco with its Tintorettos

San Sebastiano in Dorsoduro with its Veronese paintings and a late Titian as well; also in Dorsoduro is Scuola dei carmini with good Tiepolo paitings and the church San Trovaso with fine Tintorettos; at the other end of Dorsoduro is Santa maria della Salute with a particularly fine collection - Titian, Tintoretto, Palma il Giovanne etc.

In Cannaregio there are many fine things to see - Ca d'Oro with interssting collections; Glo Scalzi close to the station with good statues and paintings;the Madonna dell'orto again with a fine collection of paintings even without the beautiful Bellini Madonna and Child which was sadly stolen a few years ago and has never reappeared.

Across the Giudecca canal is San Giorgio Maggiore with fine views from the top of the bell tower (up a lift fortunately) and good paintings byJacopo Bassano, Ricci, Tintoretto etc.

I could go on for a lot longer as it would take many weeks to really see all venice's many grandeurs.

As for Restaurants - it depends to some extent where you are staying for good places reasonably close by. My advice is avoid places displaying "Tourist Menus", chekc the menus which must be displayed outside to see if they are serving the sort of food you like and always pat attention to the "pane e Coperto" charge which is per head. regardless of what you eat and can be an acceptable 1 - 4 euros and can be more extortionate.

Just enjoy Venice, we will be back in May once again for what will be, I think, our 10th visit so it obviously is a place with attractions.