We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Padlocks

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 3
Padlocks

An American ex-pat who calls himself "Sig. Nonloso" writes a wonderful blog about life in Venice with his wife and little boy. But the subject of today's post did bad things to my blood pressure:

…blogspot.com/2013/12/v-is-for-vandal-on-acc…

I believe this padlock business has been discussed here before. Where -- WHERE -- do people get the idea that this is okay?

30 replies to this topic
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
reviews: 42
21. Re: Padlocks

Should not say this but I could beat Roberts total, ,

Anthem, Arizona
reviews: 23
22. Re: Padlocks

Here's a link to the video of the "bolt cutting" lock banishing crew from a few months ago. Guess it is time for their return!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oACcJQQpVMU#t=38

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Lucca
reviews: 12
23. Re: Padlocks

The locks are everywhere. The Via dell' Amore in the Cinque Terre is full of them.

TAB

Wokingham, England
reviews: 8
24. Re: Padlocks

No "like" button on TA but congratulations to all you long married people :-)

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 6
25. Re: Padlocks

What makes it worse, is that in Paris there are vendors set up right on the bridges selling locks complete with a sharpie to write on them. To me, the first place to start is to shut down these vendors as I don't feel people would travel to Europe with a lock.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice
reviews: 45
26. Re: Padlocks

Like many people of an idle and indolent nature I have a rather placid disposition, but in November I’m afraid it snapped. I was walking across the Accademia bridge and there was a public spirited man, safety barrier in place, removing the locks from the bridge. Standing by him were two illegal sellers offering them, and a convenient marker pen, for sale. Some ridiculous people were taking advantage of the offer whilst others were graffiting the wood . I told one of the sellers that he was encouraging vandalism, acting illegally and it was a disgrace. However as he didn’t appear to understand Italian or English I felt that I had wasted my breath. Perhaps those of us who do care about this city, but are not in possession of bolt cutters, should be a little more active in our verbal protests at the vendors and perpetrators of this vandalism.

gva
reviews: 22
27. Re: Padlocks

Lucca, that's a very sad and frustrating situation. For once I do hope the authority will do something against this.

Dordrecht, The...
reviews: 5
28. Re: Padlocks

I believe the padlocks and what they signify is mentioned in pretty much every guidebook I ever read.

None of them mention their illegal status. If you want to educate tourists, that might be a good place to begin.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 4
29. Re: Padlocks

Believe it or not but I was at the colosseum the other day and at one of the main viewing platforms there were 4x padlocks attached, I really hope they are removed as it only encourages more people to do it! I think it's very disrespectful for tourists to be doing it at a place like that! Idiots....

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice
reviews: 18
30. Re: Padlocks

How utterly romantic! ... a lock on the very modern safety railing in the Colloseum where people were fed to wild animals and prisoners and slaves combatted to the death, a lock signifying eternal love... ?!?

And where did they throw the key, prey tell? ... hand feeding it into the mouth of the nearest live lion, one would hope, with that sort of logic...

Here kitty kitty "leone", I have a present from me and my loved one...

*ROAR* problem solved...

Reply to: Padlocks
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted