We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego
reviews: 1
Day Trip

Hello Fellow Travelers. My Fiance & I are staying in Firenze for 3 full days/nights during a 12 day trip to Italy for our honeymoon. She mentioned possibly taking a day trip to Venice where we would leave early, arrive around 10am and then return depart Venice around 4:30PM.

Do you think this would be enough time just to do some quick sight seeing of the city? Not necessarily going into museums there or many churches.

What would you do with 6 hours in Venice?

South Australia
reviews: 12
1. Re: Day Trip

Trains Firenze to Venezia www.trenitalia.com www.italo.treno.it

www.venice-tourism.com www.timeout.com/venice

Edited: 11:34 pm, May 29, 2013
New Zealand
2. Re: Day Trip

It's a shame you do not have at least one night in Venice.

After the tour boats and day trippers have left the evening is a magical time to wander around this amazing city.

If you do not venture into any of the museums or churches, just wandering around and getting lost is worth visiting Venice on its own.

I hope you enjoy what ever time you spend there.

Mitch

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 6
3. Re: Day Trip

As soon as you get off the train at Venezia Santa Lucia, catch a vaporetto down the Grand Canal to St Marco's Piazza. The vaporetto stop is directly outside the train station. Then at the end of the day take the vaporetto back. Or you could walk back, but you will need to allow a lot of time because Venice is such a rabbit's warren that it can be easy to get lost.

San Diego
reviews: 1
4. Re: Day Trip

Thank you for the quick replies . . . any suggestions of must sees in this short amount of time would be great too. We appreciate it.

Milano
reviews: 280
5. Re: Day Trip

Another very good train company is is www.italotreno.it/EN/Pages/default.aspx

As suggested I woul catch waterbus (vaporetto) n. 1 from railway station to San Marco, it does Canal Grande where the best buildings faces then you should see the square and the church (a tip: as there is a que you may consider the antrance on le left of the facade for people wishing to pray, you will have access to a small part of the chirch but you may have an idea of such a fantastic monument), do a walk on Riva degli Schiavoni to see the Ponte dei Sospiri then start your way back to the station walking.

On the way San Marco-Station you should stop to see Rialto bridge and the area nearby where in the morning there is a fruit and fish market (except Sunday and also monday for fish).

Still on the way you may stop to see the Jewish Ghetto.

I agree it is a pity you do not stop in Venice for a night, San Marco square in the evening is amazing as pretty empty and full of lights.

Waterbuses single journey is 7€, if you plan to use it more then once buy a 12 hours ticket. There are pkenty of kiosks just outside the railway station, the company is http://www.actv.it/

Edited: 6:04 am, May 30, 2013
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
reviews: 48
6. Re: Day Trip

Put a day in Venice in the search box,on this page, it is a often asked question, so a lot of ideas, but it is a pity you cannot stay over, Venice is lovely in the evening when the day trippers depart,

Dordrecht, The...
reviews: 5
7. Re: Day Trip

I spent a week in Venice and still feel I could have easily spend at least 3 more days there and enjoy myself if it wasn't for the nasty business of financials.

I agree that taking a vaporetto from the train station down the canal to San Marco is a good way to see a lot of the city, but I would add a quick trip up the campanile of San Marco square or the bell tower of San Giorgio di Maggiore for some nice Bird's Eye views of the city and a nice chance to make a couple of beautiful panorama pictures.

I would also definitely recommend taking a 12 hour transportation ticket. Each single fare is 7 euros, a 12 hour ticket allows you to get on and off an unlimited amount of times for a fixed amount of money (don't forget to validate your ticket each time you board a boat).

Some other ideas:

*Get off at the Arsenale stop and walk to the very tip of Castello to enjoy the view of the boats and nearby islands.

*Simply walk and get lost to catch the atmosphere and find those nice romantic. deserted places, but make sure you have a detailed map and perhaps a GPS with you so you can find your way back if you have to.

* Know where the main sights are located. If you know, you could navigate the main routes through the city as shown at europeforvisitors.com/venice/…20signs.htm

It's hard to recommend must-sees if we don't know what you enjoy. Can you give an idea about what you typically like to do on a city holiday?

8. Re: Day Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 01, 2014