We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lots of train questions

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA U.S.
reviews: 11
lots of train questions

We're planning on taking trains from Venice to Paris and then Paris to Barcelona.

Question #1: Is there a big difference between first and second class? We fly coach, take subways, live in the city, so we don't necessarily need luxury.

Question #2: How do you get specific tickets when you have a Railpass?

Question #3: What about overnight trains? Can we get a sleeping space for four? What train accomodations do you recommend?

Thanks for any advice....

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
reviews: 94
1. Re: lots of train questions

Venice - Paris

As far as I am aware there are several train leaving Venice which reuire a change of train at Milan for onward travel to Paris. These included

Venice S. Lucia 06.04 12.52

Milan Centrale arr. 08.55 15.55

dep. 09.13 16.13

Paris Gare de Lyon 16.11 22.51

There is one through train I know about. This departs Venice 19.59, arrives Paris 08.23.

There may well be other trains.

Italian 2nd class is not much poorer accommodation than 1st, slightly less room. Nor is it all that much cheaper

Sorry, cannot help with Railpass, never used it.

Again, cannot help with Paris - Barcelona

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
reviews: 26
2. Re: lots of train questions

2. you go to any rail station (or travel agent , though those in France will charge a service fee) and purchase a reservation. 3 Euro each. Of course you can also pay $11 and do it at raileurope.com, or do it at cost at trenitalia.it . For the Prais-Barcelona leg, I don't believe the french rail website support railpass reservation.

3) If you are taking overnight train, the reservation is more than 3 Euro. It varies depending on accommodation chosen. 6-spot couchette, 4-spot couchette, double/single bedrooms, etc. Looks like you have to choose the 4-spot chouchette. Both trips you mentioned provide this kind of accommodation.

Cuenca, Ecuador
reviews: 18
3. Re: lots of train questions

We took an overnight train from Paris to Venice. There were stops along the way but we did not have to change trains. I would imagine it to be the same going the other direction. We traveled first class. We meet a lady from California who was booked in 2nd class while we were waiting to board. It wasn't long after we departed that she asked to be moved to 1st class. We had our own compartment and could lock the door during the night. It was very comfortable. We were four. I would check www.eurostar.com for info on schedules and how to book your trip.

4. Re: lots of train questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, August 15, 2009