We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice to Rome (via Florence) Drive or Train?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
reviews: 19
Venice to Rome (via Florence) Drive or Train?

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to decide if it would be better to drive or take trains from Venice to Florence and from Florence to Rome. I'm sort of thinking it might be nice to do the drive at our pace and see more of the countryside. Plus, the price is a wash. I guess I waited too long to book the train tickets and they are like $80 Euros per person per trip. So that's like 320 Euros. Cars are like $300 to $400 USD. Thoughts??? I am trying to figure out what will be more convenient, relaxing and fun. Thanks in advance:)

C

albuquerque
reviews: 18
1. Re: Venice to Rome (via Florence) Drive or Train?

What site are you using for train tickets? I can see them for ~ 60 euro each leg looking just 1 week out. If you are using a US site then I'd suggest you switch to the Italian site for better prices.

I think it's hard to answer your question as it's a bit of personal preference. If you love to drive, and want to wander stopping in small or out of the way places, then driving might be good. If you simply want to get from Venice to Florence then I'd take the train. A car in Florence is a major pain however and even if you drive from Venice I'd turn it in and take the train to Rome when you are ready.

San Diego...
2. Re: Venice to Rome (via Florence) Drive or Train?

Hi Cattivojo! Thanks for your thoughts. You are correct, the tickets are around 60 Euros. The train would be the easiest. I am just not sure I want to decide times this far in advance. You think the tickets will stay that price up to a week out?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
3. Re: Venice to Rome (via Florence) Drive or Train?

Venice to Rome by train (via Florence) takes three hours 40 minutes, typically.

The driving time via Florence would be at least seven hours if you can manage to drive near the speed limit continually, so probably rather more. Plus any rest stops you make on the way. You also have to add on the administrative time necessary in picking up and dropping off the car, and time spend on parking in Florence.

Tolls and fuel are likely to cost around €100. Then there's parking fees, or choosing an inconvenient out-of-town hotel in Florence with free parking from which you'll waste time getting to and from the centre. And the risk of a traffic fine for entering the ZTL or driving in a bus lane.

Read tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187893-c146632/Tusca… and tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187893-c145503/Tusca… and

Edited: 7:06 pm, February 20, 2013
San Diego...
4. Re: Venice to Rome (via Florence) Drive or Train?

Thanks, Perilizia! This is exactly the type of info I wanted to hear. Do you think there's any benefit from getting a car in Florence to Rome? I would like to have a car in Rome because we want to take a day trip to Pompei. It scares me to book trains so far in advance because I am not certain of the exact time of day I want to travel. Will train tickets be significantly more expensive if I wait to book them when I am in Italy? Thanks again so very much for your help:)

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
5. Re: Venice to Rome (via Florence) Drive or Train?

On the day prices can easily be seen by looking at http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html - this version of the trenitalia website accepts English names like Venice and Florence and Rome and Naples, and headlines the 'Base' price which is usually all that is left to buy on the day of travel as the Economy tickets are usually sold out. On this version, you only only see advance reductions if you select a particular train and click 'Continue'.

Rome to Naples takes one hour 10 minutes by the fastest (and most expensive) trains. You then have a further 35 minutes €2 journey by a different train company http://www.vesuviana.it/web/en to Pompei Scavi station.

Driving would take at least three hours each way, costing around €25 in tolls and fuel. Personally, I wouldn't drive in and out of Rome for pleasure if I could take a faster train, and the highway between Rome and Naples is not a pleasurable drive either, in my opinion.

albuquerque
reviews: 18
6. Re: Venice to Rome (via Florence) Drive or Train?

There is no problem waiting and getting tickets once you get to Italy. The price might be a little more, but the flexibility is worth it.

There's a nice app for the I-phone, it's called I Treni. It would allow you to check train times from where ever you are in Italy.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
7. Re: Venice to Rome (via Florence) Drive or Train?

Do not even *think* of trying to drive in central Florence or central Rome. The centres of both these cities are prohibited to visitors' cars, and the prohibition is enforced by cameras and fines of over €100.

If you want to see Pompeii on a day trip from Rome, go by train. It will be faster than car, and much less stressful. Or there are Roman remains that are just as interesting at Ostia Antica, the port of ancient Rome, which is less than 30 minutes by suburban train from central Rome.

Edited: 9:57 pm, February 20, 2013
San Diego...
8. Re: Venice to Rome (via Florence) Drive or Train?

You guys rule! I think I will hold off on train tickets till it gets closer. We are still reading tons of books to figure out what we want to do. So it's really hard to know what time we will want to leave each city. Thanks for the recommendation of Ostia Antica. I will look it up.

San Diego...
9. Re: Venice to Rome (via Florence) Drive or Train?

Perilizia- Thanks that version of the trenitalia site is very helpful. I do not see base or economy prices though. Just first or second class. It says second class is 45 Euros. Is there a chance that price can increase or will this be the most I will have to pay? Thanks so much!!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
10. Re: Venice to Rome (via Florence) Drive or Train?

€43 is the most in 2nd. Each way.

All the initial prices on http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html are on-the-day and Base prices. As previously stated, to see Economy fares (if available) for a particular train you must select that train using the button in the right hand column then click Continue,