We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dreams can come true

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 1
Dreams can come true

Hi. Finally realising my dream of visiting Venice. It has taken 64 years, but so what. I have booked an apartment on the Grand Canal and will be staying for the month of October. My worry is...do I need to speak Italian to get around, do you think I will need a car, is there much to do at night and will I be OK on my own?

Thinking I'll spend a lot of time sitting with a glass of wine watching Venice drift past me

An old lady in Venice on her own....sad sight.

But I'm sooooo excited.

Can anyone give me a few tips?

UK
reviews: 3
21. Re: Dreams can come true

Those prices on Amazon are ludicrous - a mistake, surely! The book was only published a couple of years ago, and a new edition could be out this year. it can be bought online from the publisher for £10.99.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice
reviews: 316
22. Re: Dreams can come true

Pretty nuts, he?? I may e-mail Amazon just to make sure that there is not a mistake in pricing but will order the book elsewhere. Thank you!

USA
reviews: 32
23. Re: Dreams can come true

that book by jonglez is $13.57 on amazon.com

From the website:

Secret Venice [Paperback]

Thomas Jonglez

Thomas Jonglez (Author)

› Visit Amazon's Thomas Jonglez Page

Find all the books, read about the author, and more.

See search results for this author

Are you an author? Learn about Author Central

(Author), Paola Zoffoli (Author)

5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (1 customer review)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

List Price: $19.95

Price: $13.57 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details

Deal Price:

You Save: $6.38 (32%)

In Stock.

Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

Want it tomorrow, Feb. 12? Order within 5 hrs 38 mins, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. Details

38 new from $11.95 17 used from $11.97

Edited: 12:52 pm, February 11, 2013
Peaks Island, Maine
reviews: 114
24. Re: Dreams can come true

I am so glad you are living your dream. My husband and I are now in our ninth day of living OURS in Ferrara. We are here for three months. We have no car and walk and ride our bikes everywhere.....to the train staizione if we do a day trip...to the markets....to museums....just like the residents do. Knowing a few basic words and phases will certainly get you by in Venice.....it is for us here and we have not heard a word spoken of English on the street. In only these few days our ears are already picking up key words with some understanding. Cherish each moment of your stay....our blog is...www.adventuresinferrara.wordpress.com If you want to follow our dream.

Wokingham, England
reviews: 8
25. Re: Dreams can come true

I would agree with veniceloverUK about learning as much Italian as you can. We spent a week in Venice last year, staying in an apartment. We found all the people in shops and markets very friendly and I wish I had been able to respond with more than just my stock tourist phrases. I think if you are there for a month you will really get to know your local shop keepers and you would enjoy having a bit of a chat with them (and they with you!).

Nashville TN
reviews: 6
26. Re: Dreams can come true

Congratulations!

You are living the dream. I started traveling alone three years ago at 61 when I spent 2 weeks in Paris, then the following year two weeks in Portugal and this September two weeks in Venice. I wish I was going in October so we could share a glass of Prosecco and chat about our next adventure. Have a wonderful time!

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
reviews: 45
27. Re: Dreams can come true

If you enjoy reading, I can highly recommend City of Falling Angels. It is by a successful author who went to live in Venice for a few months, and what he learned of modern-day Venice. Very well- written and interesting.

We ( my husband and I) will be there for the month of October ourselves. It is our dream too!

28. Re: Dreams can come true

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 14, 2014