We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight Train Help

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Overnight Train Help

I am trying to book an overnight train from Venice to Munich via the Trenitalia website. We are 5 adults wanting to book a 6 bed couchette. We were hoping to stay in the same compartment and when I select this as the option we are still put in separate compartments when I go to purchase the tickets. Can anyone shed some light as to why this might be happening?

Also, what is the major difference between the couchettes and sleepers? Are the sleepers worth the extra $$?

THANK YOU.

Mannheim, Germany
reviews: 31
1. Re: Overnight Train Help

If I am correct, a sleeper is nicer than a couchette and usually 4 per room. Are you trying to book this outside of Itay? If you are currently in Italy, go to the train station and have them arrange this for you. Or when on trenitalia, click the button that says add fare. This will allow you to add a person, but I don't know if it will put your reservations together.

Belgium
reviews: 1
2. Re: Overnight Train Help

From what I remember male and females cannot share on night trains in Italy.

If you are a mixed group and want the whole compartment try ringing them direct.

Good Luck

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
reviews: 27
3. Re: Overnight Train Help

maybe only 4-couchette compartments are available on that train. (they fold up the middle ones)

4. Re: Overnight Train Help

Thank you everyone for your help.

I am trying to book from outside Italy for May and would prefer to book now rather than wait until we are there.

Has anyone had any success calling Trenitalia from abroad? I have read numerous posts on this website with no luck calling them.

Also is there a map that shows the seating plans so I can check where the assigned seats are in relation to each other?