We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Italy

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saratoga Springs, NY
Going to Italy

I will be traveling with my wife to Italy in July 2005. Originally, I was looking into Venice only, however I would like to know if there are other cities I should consider. Keep in mind I plan on not having a car and will do most of our travels on foot. We are looking for close proximity for shopping, museums, etc. I am looking at Bed and Breakfasts to stay at.

Scotland
1. Re: Going to Italy

Verona would be worthwhile visiting - it's just over an hour by train from Venice, and also very easy to walk around. Enjoy your trip!

Jackie

San Francisco...
reviews: 2
2. Re: Going to Italy

If you are going all that way you must go to Rome. It is magnificent and not to be missed. A city made for walking. Rome is the most beautiful and friendly city in Europe.

Great museums, shopping, food that is out of this world. I recomend Il Bacaro #27 Va Degli Spagnoli near the Pantheon (entres average around 14 euros), and in the Trastevere Ristorante Asinocotto #48 Via dei Vascellari (entres average around 17 euros. As for traveling the trains in Italy are the best. You can take the bulit train and be in Rome in no time.

You can fly into Venice and fly out of Rome at the end of your trip.

San Francisco...
3. Re: Going to Italy

Oh and for B&B I aways stay at The Pantheon View in Rome. It is charming and centraly located so that you can walk to everything from the Trevi fountain, The Forum and Piazza Novona. And don't miss the Largo Argentena the true site where Caesar was killed. Also the Baths of Caracalla and Nero's Golden House (His palace) are musts as are the Capitoline Museum and the Doria Pamphili Palace, Trajan's Market (The first Mall in history in remarkable conditon. and the Palatine Hill is magnificent.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
4. Re: Going to Italy

I think a lot depends on how long you're planning on being in Italy and what style of travel you like. I prefer not racing around but some people get easily bored in one spot. It is unfortunate that you don't want to drive because a combo of Venice and the Veneto area could be wonderful. Look here www.initaly.com/regions/veneto/venitin.htm

It is possible to do Venice, Verona and Lake Garda (which is only 30mins from Verona.) Varenna is another beautiful spot. I hear Vincenza is beautiful but don't know about transport.

While Rome is wonderful, it's not really close to Venice. You will use up the better part of a day to get from one to the other regardless of how you travel. Venice and Florence is another alternative with Florence obviously closer.

Keep in mind while in Venice you could spend a day on the Lido at the beach, another day or more exploring the other outer islands of Murano, Burano, Torcello and Venice has so many nooks and crannies to explore. There are also boat trips on the Brenta Canal to see Palladian Villas. July is hot and busy there though.

Initaly.com is a good website to check anyway.

San Francisco...
reviews: 39
5. Re: Going to Italy

From Venice I think good trips by train would be Padua and Verona, but in our paper today was a great write-up on Trieste, about two hours away (several express trains available). I think we may go there when we retun to Venice next Sept. It seems like the kind of place that is not currently overrun with visitors but that cannot last forever. It sounds like an interesting combination of Hapsburg history and Italian influence, and its location at the intersection of several countries makes it sounds like an accessible Vienna. BTW, we plan for a week in Venice and think we will have plenty to do and see.

Here's the url to the article:

sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi…

Stavanger, Norway
reviews: 118
6. Re: Going to Italy

Hi

It is pretty easy to get around...my wife and I went to Milan and Venice in June last year and we took the train to travel between the cities. I have posted a trip report with pictures from our trip to Italy on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can find some useful information there. Get in touch if you have any questions :-)

Regards

Gard

Stavanger, Norway

Roseville, CA
reviews: 1
7. Re: Going to Italy

I agree with a previous poster about extending the trip to Rome. I was in Italy back in 1999 with some girlfriends and am going back in May 2005 with my husband. Rome was my favorite after Venice. So much history and beauty in one city. I did not have the negative experiences of gypsies and theives as some other travellers have had, and I just loved Rome and the people there.

Priya

Oakland, CA
8. Re: Going to Italy

I will be going to Rome after 5 days stayed in Venice. Do you recommend renting a vespa or car? I heard parking was scarce and expensive.

Thank you

Venezia, Italy
reviews: 3
9. Re: Going to Italy

Forget cars and vespas. You can walk to most places in Rome and the public transport is very good. The metro gets very crowded so I prefer to take a bus or taxi. There are a lot of hotels in Via Principe Amedeo close to the railway station. I use the Starhotel Metropole when I go on business. www.starhotels.com. There are a couple of good small restaurants near by. La Galina Bianca is very popular, especially with the local police who pick up a take away while on patrol.

murray

10. Re: Going to Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:46 pm, December 03, 2004