We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice in May - add second city/resort

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
reviews: 18
Venice in May - add second city/resort

I will be in Venice with my husband originally from a Wed night to Sun in mid May. We are now thinking of travelling to Italy on the Saturday before, therefore could stay somewhere else / a combination of places and reach Venice perhaps on the Thursday. We have a flight out of Venice on the Sunday night that we cannot change.

We did think of flying to Rome for a few days then getting the train up to Venice, however, we are now thinking of leaving Rome for a longer trip on its own and going to see maybe two smaller less touristy places first.

We are able to fly into any of the airports so could start anywhere. Does anyone has any suggestions ?

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
reviews: 98
1. Re: Venice in May - add second city/resort

Much depends on your personal interests.

My wife and I enjoy Milan and go back frequently because there is a lot to see and do there.

Places in the north we have enjoyed for shorter visits of only 2 - 3 days have been Bergamo,Mantua, Cremona, Verona, Vicenza, Padua and Treviso. The least 4 are easy to reach by train from Venice and you can make them a day trip if you wish with a rapid and efficient trians service. Padua and Treviso only take 20/25 minutes, Vicenza just under the hour and Verona a little over an hour. Check train timetables on www.trenitalia.it (English language version). You can only purchase tickets on this website for about 6/8 weeeks in advance. However certainly for Padua and Treviso no need whatsoever, we always buy our tickets at Santa Lucia when we are ready to travel.

Slightly further afield we have greatly enjoyed a whole week in Ravenna and another in Bologna.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
reviews: 98
2. Re: Venice in May - add second city/resort

Much depends on your personal interests.

My wife and I enjoy Milan and go back frequently because there is a lot to see and do there.

Places in the north we have enjoyed for shorter visits of only 2 - 3 days have been Bergamo,Mantua, Cremona, Verona, Vicenza, Padua and Treviso. The least 4 are easy to reach by train from Venice and you can make them a day trip if you wish with a rapid and efficient trians service. Padua and Treviso only take 20/25 minutes, Vicenza just under the hour and Verona a little over an hour. Check train timetables on www.trenitalia.it (English language version). You can only purchase tickets on this website for about 6/8 weeeks in advance. However certainly for Padua and Treviso no need whatsoever, we always buy our tickets at Santa Lucia when we are ready to travel.

Slightly further afield we have greatly enjoyed a whole week in Ravenna and another in Bologna.

north carolina
reviews: 114
3. Re: Venice in May - add second city/resort

I have a great prejudice in favor of Florence. Train service from Rome to Florence to Venice is very easy, cheap, pleasant. In Florence and Venice the train stations are in the center of town so it's easy to get wherever you want to be.

On the other hand, if you want to rent a car and do something different, there are three places in Tuscany, South of Florence, that we love: Three places we have stayed, all exceedingly pretty, romantic, quiet and comfortable.

The Villa Lecchi, outside of Stagia, which is just East of Poggibonsi, which is about half way between Florence and Siena. The most fantastic views of the Tuscan countryside, and a great restaurant on site. Very easy to visit Siena, San Gimigniana, Castelino in Chianti, Radda, and Western Chianti.

Second: the Borgo Argenino, a bed and breakfast collection of restored old buildings. about half way between Siena and Gaiole in Chianti. Infinitely relaxing. No restaurant on site except the breakfast room, but many fine restaurants within reasonable drive. Not quite as convenient to visit a lot of other "major sites", but very convenient to drive around southern Chianti, and about an hour drive to Arrezzo and Cortona. Also about an hour or so to Montepulciano.

Third: which my little bride calls the most romantic place we have ever stayed in Italy, the B&B, I Capprici di Merion, at Tuoro sul Trasimeno on the Northern tip of Lake Trasimeno. great restaurant on site, very convenient to visit Perugia (CHOCOLATE!!), Assisi, Deruto, Montepulciano, other areas of Southern Tuscany or Northern Umbria.

We have found all three of these to be wonderful.

The Michelin guide says the drive from center of Rome to Tuoro Sul Trasemino is 2 hours and 11 minutes - I always find that I have to add about 30% to their driving time estimates. So based on my own rude estimates, I would think you would get from Rome to Borgo Argenina in about three hours or three and a half, or Rome to Villa Lecchi in about three and a half or four.

In any case, you can not avoid having the time of your lives!

UK
reviews: 107
4. Re: Venice in May - add second city/resort

With Rome left for a trip of its own and Venice already on the agenda, that leaves Florence as the obvious city of choice. In my experience, it is the second most visually stunning Italian city after Venice - one's first sight of the Duomo looming over the Florentine citycsape is breathtaking! And there is also Piazza della Signoria, il Ponte Vecchio, Michelangelo's David etc..

When in Florence I always stay at the Bellettini Hotel - a wonderful family owned hotel near the Duomo. I recommend it highly. There are lovely Tuscan restaurants nearby.

You can easily fly to Pisa from Dublin and get the train into Florence from there.

Dublin
reviews: 18
5. Re: Venice in May - add second city/resort

Thank you all for your suggestions, will have a busy weekend researching on the net - a few of the suggestions are very tempting !

Yorkshire, United...
reviews: 20
6. Re: Venice in May - add second city/resort

lakes and mountain areas north of venice are stunningly beautiful - the sudtyrol - merano maybe - it is almost like getting 2 countries for the price of one becuase of the strong austrian influence, different scenery and food, and is a favourit area of mine.tours of the dolomites not to be missed!Bolzano worth a day trip to see Uzzi the ice man museum.