We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip reports, past, present and future

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
reviews: 3
Trip reports, past, present and future

If you'd like to, please post links to all your trip reports (past, present, and future) here on this thread. If you also have pictures posted somewhere on the Net, include those links as well.

Thank you Jeannette and TA Jane for getting the ball rolling!

235 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
reviews: 29
131. Re: Trip reports, past, present and future

Sorry for the long overdue trip report! We went to Italy for our honeymoon and visited Rome, Florence, and Venice. We spent 2 days in Venice and it was truly an amazing experience. Here are my trip reports with photos!

Venice Day 1 where we had our wedding photography as well:

…blogspot.com/2010/03/italy-venice.html

Venice Day 2 walk around the incredible city:

…blogspot.com/2010/…italy-venice-part-2.html

Edited: 6:54 am, August 04, 2012
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 3
132. Re: Trip reports, past, present and future

Grazie for posting. So glad you had a wonderful time. Your wedding pictures are wonderful. What a memory you will have when you look at them again in 50 years! Okay, you'll look at them a lot but just think about what your grandchildren will think when they look at them.

May you have a beautiful life together.

Boston, MA
reviews: 29
133. Re: Trip reports, past, present and future

Thank you Nissana! That's what made me to start writing blog so I can share with my kids and grandkids laterrrrrr on :D

Bethesda, Maryland
reviews: 1
134. Re: Trip reports, past, present and future

In late September, we're coming to Venice via St. Lucia train station and staying at the Marriott Autograph hotel, Madonna Ortello 3500. How do we get there?

UK
135. Re: Trip reports, past, present and future

The address is actually Fondamenta Madonna dell'Orto so you may have more luck searching for this.

It is walkable but quite a few bridges so may be more convenient to take a 4.2 or 5.2 vaporetto to the Orto stop.

There is a link to maps on your hotel's website.

Edited: 3:29 pm, August 23, 2012
London, UK
reviews: 150
136. Re: Trip reports, past, present and future

Here is my 1 week report from a very hot August 2012.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187870-i57-k572…

Manchester
reviews: 16
137. Re: Trip reports, past, present and future

At the moment, I am struggling to come up with reasons why I shouldn’t visit Venice again, before the year is out. I’ve been twice now, and I think I have left a small chunk of my heart there, such is the pull to go back.

In a nut shell, there’s quite simply no place like it on earth.

Here’s the link to my story of Venice:

…blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/lets-get-lost-in-ven…

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
reviews: 53
138. Re: Trip reports, past, present and future

Just returned from a excellent four night break in Venice, 09/09/12 to 13/09/12. Had a fantastic time, loved every minute. Hope you find my trip report & photographs useful :-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187870-i57-k576…

If you have any questions, contact me & I will try to assist.

Have a fantastic time!

St Ives
reviews: 6
139. Re: Trip reports, past, present and future

This is not really a 'report', but from 3 half days at either end of a cruise in July 2012 I made these :

THE GRAND CANAL by VAPORETTO http://youtu.be/DQ8apgEhZBA shows it all from Piazzale Roma - St Mark's Square taking vaporetto line 1. I bought a couple of 24 hour vaporetto tickets for €20 each (single-trip tickets are €7) and thought it was very good value. If you are in Venice for 3 days the 72 hour ticket at €35 is better still.

THE DOGE'S PALACE http://youtu.be/Jh7lPFe12ao costs €16 for adults, €8 for seniors and there are good family tickets too. There was no queue at 2.15 p.m. July 30. I thought this was astonishing, and if I had my time again would have booked the Secret Itineraries Tour, which goes to places I couldn't on my 'ordinary' visit.

PIAZZA SAN MARCO (St Mark's Square) http://youtu.be/2aYMiTZUnKw

The queue (11 a.m. July 30) for entry to St Mark's Basilica was almost back level with the facade of the Doge's Palace that overlooks the lagoon but it moved quickly and we were inside with 20 minutes.

Entrance is free but you have to pay a couple of euros to go the the High Altar, where the Pala d'Oro is, and €3 to go into the Treasury. And there is also a charge (€4 ?) to go upstairs to the museum where the Bronze Horses are but I didn't have time to do that.

The lift up the Campanile only takes about 8 people and I waited about 15 minutes for that at 3.30 pm that afternoon. Once up there a maximum of 10 minutes is all you need. I tried to go up the campanile on the island of San Giorgio Maggiore too but it was closed without any indication of when it would be open again to the public. However I would have thought the view from the top deck of a cruise- ship on the sail-in or out would be just as good, perhaps even better as you are not obstructed by window frames and walls and are that bit closer to St Mark's Square.

At around 6.30 in the video shows the Clock Tower. I would have liked to have done that to see the workings of all aspects of the clock, as much as for the views, but you are much higher up in the Campanile and can see the Piazza and Piazzetta pretty well from that.

VIEWS of VENICE http://youtu.be/Hw3ucTjFta0 features areas not covered by the other 3 videos, and includes the gondolas, a quick visit to Murano, the sail-out from the Giudecca canal and (at the end) St Mark's Square by night, which I thought was magical. Your vap pass is good for Burano and the Lido too but we ran out of time.

I hope you enjoy Venice as much as I did.

Edited: 10:58 am, October 14, 2012
Vienna
140. Re: Trip reports, past, present and future

17-22 October: 5 Wonderful days in Venice

I put together a brief summary of our trip to Venice, for next time. I did not have any time to do any research for this trip with just 24-hours to departure by train at 6.30 am, nor did I get a guide book, nor find out opening times of museums, etc. I wanted to go to the Museum of Naval History but it was only open till 1.30 pm, and closed on Sundays ... I would also get a 72-hr pass for the waterbus. Next time will pay more attention to restaurant and location names.

Went by train from Vienna down to Villach (4 hrs) in southern Corinthia and from there by very comfortable doubledecker bus, also run by the Austrian railway (another 4 hrs) to Venice. Was very pleasantly surprised at how comfortable the journey was, apart from the stress of leaving my ticket on my desk at the office! Had to get a replacement ticket at the station and put in a claim on my return, so keeping my fingers crossed for a refund.

We stayed at a youth hostel on Strada Nova, which was a great location, just 20 mins. walk from Rialto/San Marco's Square. But probably wouldn't stay there again as there was a bar downstairs and sometimes they were pretty loud. The first day my daughter was attending a conference, so I had a wonderful day on my own. Have the name of another hostel that my daughter took a look at it - will go there next time ...

Day One

I sat outside at a nearby restaurant and had a very good cup of coffee ... while I wrote my postcards. Whilst sitting there the sound of chiming church bells rang out from somehwere nearby. Magic! Then I walked to Rialto and San Marco's Square. Got a toasted sandwich and sat on the steps and people watched for ages. There was a small quartet playing music and it was just so relaxing. Then I went to the Rialto bridge and wandered around the small calle there, found a small pearl pendant that I might get made into an earring, as I lost one at a wedding recently.

Got somewhat lost on the way back but didn't have a decent map, but at least I had the phone no. on my mobile so got directions. At the Ponte San AntonioI I decided it was time not to be losing so many things ... as St. Antonio is patron saint of lost things.

Day Two

My daughter had a presentation in the morning, which was on the other side of town. While she got her stuff printed I had coffee at a really nice, small café with v. friendly staff. It was located near the Banco San Marco on Strada Nova. Luckily I had a USB stick with me by chance, so my daughter could get her things printed. Then we went at high speed down to the other end of town, where her presentation was held. Hers was the only one in English - so when she was finished I went out to sit in the sun till everyone was done around lunchtime.

We were invited for lunch at a small restaurant near the university - I sat next to a landscape architect from Barcelona, opposite an Italian professor and next to him was a lady from South Tirol who spoke a little German and with whom I had a fascinating conversation. It was over all too soon. Then we rushed back to the Hostel and dropped our things, and walked down to St. Mark's Square and Rialto Bridge. There were many people there now, compared to the weekdays earlier. We had very good spaghetti al pomodoro on the way home.

Day Three

My daughter was at an exhibition so I had a leisurely breakfast at my favourite cafe, where one of the waitresses was from the UK and was pleased to see me back again. I think they get so many customers who only go there once. I got a text from my daughter if I wanted to join her at the Common Ground exhibition, which she was spending time. Took a waterbus to Arsenale and when I asked an Italian couple for some help, I realised I had seen them the day before at San Marco Square. They were so helpful and she smiled when I said I had seen her while waiting in line at the Bankomat near St. Mark's. I wanted to go to the Naval History Museum but they were only open till 13:30 and closed on Sundays. There were so many passersby in that area, I am sure they must have lost a lot of income. My daughter wanted to go back to the exhibition, so we parted at a lovely park which is right on the waterfront. It was a lovely park and all the trees and bushes displayed their red and golden leaves. I walked along the waterfront, enjoying the houses all painted different colours and an archway with laundry hanging inside and through an open window on the second floor, I had a glimpse of a large, private collection of paintings on the wall.

Met my daughter at 6 outside the park and then we walked at a leisurely pace along the waterfront. We sat on the benches which are opposite San Salute, and watched the passing of ships, boats and gondola. We chanced to hear some classical music coming from open doors of a deconsecrated church (roughly opposite San Salute?) - the orchestra had a rehearsal of Vivaldi's 4 Seasons for the evening performance. We listened enchanted for half an hour or more. There were only a handful of people. What a joy to experience - I bought a CD to take home with me. On the way back we got a piece of pizza and drinks and then went back to the hostel. Didn't sleep too well because of the noise downstairs ...

Day Four

We had to be at the bus station at 2:30 pm, so we paid the hostel and went to see the Jewish quarter, Il Ghetto Novissimo, where we had a leisurely brunch (excellent club sandwiches) at an outside cafe in the square. Enjoyed the sight of children playing and took photos of posters typical for the area. My daughter got the last of her postcards written and put stamps on envelope for boyfriend and then we made our way back to Ferrovio and the train station. Our short but memorable stay in Venice was over, but I will surely be back again next year! We couldn't print my replacement ticket but they were so nice both on the bus and the train. My daughter showed them the e-mail booking confirmation we hadn't been able to print.

And as I am still thinking about the wonderful time in Venice, with its beautiful Grand Canal, esplanade and very old Jewish Quarter. Every view was worth a photo and indeed, I took sooo many ...

Reply to: Trip reports, past, present and future
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted