We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

water taxi/vaporetto gratuity

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york city
reviews: 4
water taxi/vaporetto gratuity

A recent post mentioned a 10Euro tip to the water taxi driver (from the airport). Is this customary? What about on the vaporetto?

Thanks so much,

mly

Linz
reviews: 7
1. Re: water taxi/vaporetto gratuity

No must to give a tip... only if the driver was friendly, helped with luggage, then give him a tip (not more than 10%). The Vaporetto is like a public bus, buy a ticket before you go, that's it.

Wales, UK
reviews: 1
2. Re: water taxi/vaporetto gratuity

mly - private water taxi - tip:

On arrival there were 2 other couples waiting for private water taxis so we decided to join forces; there was plenty of room for the 6 of us + luggage. The price asked for 3 couples airport-St.Marks was 110E (which, as far as I know, is more than I have seen mentioned in this forum) and one of the party said if we made it 120E it would work out at 40E per couple. This made it much cheaper individually than if we had had 3 taxis and it was a one-off.

Would not normally give a tip unless special circumstances. I also don't think they expect it.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 84
3. Re: water taxi/vaporetto gratuity

Used a water taxi from the airport to our hotel and the cost was $85 Euros. I inquired about tipping on this forum before I left on my trip, and was told it wasn't necessary (because it is so expensive). I don't really think our driver expected a tip anyway. It depends on where you are staying and how much luggage you have, but I think our water taxi was worth it, because we got to our hotel at 9:30 at night, and we weren't sure where our hotel was. The water taxi dropped us off right in front, so it made everything much easier. And as far as the vaporettos, no tipping there either. Have a great trip!

new york city
reviews: 4
4. Re: water taxi/vaporetto gratuity

Thanks so much RobbiaAustria, Migs, and Trvldva for the helpful information.

We leave on 9/28 and since this is my first Italy trip, all the TripAdvisor help has been invaluable.

Our plane arrives 9:50 a.m., and we'll probably decide once we're there whether it's water taxi or Alilaguna. Flying time from New York is 8h15 and if the trip's not been difficult and we've managed to stick to our plan of one piece of luggage each, we may opt for the latter. Our hotel, the Lisbona, doesn't have its own water taxi landing but the hotel map shows it is closer to the hotel than the San Marco vaporetto stop.

Again, many thanks.

mly