We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice in Winter

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee
reviews: 3
Venice in Winter

I have been to Venice many times, but never in winter. (I've loved it all the other times I have gone in late spring and summer) How is Venice different in winter? Are all of the little stores still open? Are there still a lot of tourists? Can you still get around ok, or does the flooding make it difficult? When does most of the flooding take place? I'd appreciate if anyone can help me out!

Thanks!

Brooklyn, New York
reviews: 25
1. Re: Venice in Winter

Hi - November is normally the worst month for flooding in Venice, although, flooding is not uncommon throughout the winter. My experience was that it was the worst in San Marco and I used rubber boots to get around. Otherwise, Venice will be free of tourist mobs and most shops and restaurants are open.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
reviews: 94
2. Re: Venice in Winter

Venice in winter can be cold and damp, particularly if the wind is coming from the east across the Adriatic. However the shops and restaurants etc. will all be open and there will be fewer tourists. There will still be some, there always are.

Flooding can occur almost any time as it depends on a number of factors. One is the tide, which whilst not a large range in the Mediterranean there is still some. Second is the amount of water coming down the rivers into the lagoon.

Third is the wind - an easterly wind backs water up into the lagoon.

If all these factors coincide you will have floods for sure.

Venice is fairly well organised to deal with floods. Duckboards are laid down in the worst affected areas so you can walk across Piazza San Marco without too much of a problem. A great many places have boards to place in doorways to keep the water out.

A pair of waterproof boots is helpful.

I remember once staying in a hotel on the Grand Canal we came down to breakfast one morning and found about six inches of canal water flooding over the floor of the breakfast room, the reception hall and the bar. The staff obviously had experienced this before and rallied round to provide breakfast in another unaffected room. As the water receded they were out with mops and buckets cleaning up - you can see why many places have marble floors without carpets - much easier to clean!!