We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline reservations from US to Venice

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Airline reservations from US to Venice

I will be flying from Los Angeles to Venice next Oct. to embark on a cruise. I will be flying home 2 weeks later out of Rome. Right now Delta looks like the best deal. Does anyone have any other airline suggestions or good sites to check?

Also I'm looking for information on reserving specific seats on airlines. I am trying to get airline reservations as early as possible for 3 different trips my wife & I will be taking next year. No matter how early (330 days out is max. for most airlines) I am checking on line I have found all the best coach seats marked as reserved. I have not run into this situation in the past.

I have called and emailed airlines asking about this. Their answer is a certain number of seats are controlled by the airport and not available till the day of the flight. I can see holding a couple seats but not the 30-40 as indicated on the airline website.

Can anyone shed more light on this? Is there any way to get access to reserve these seats far in advance?

Thanks for any information you can give me.

Paul

Los Angeles, Ca
reviews: 10
1. Re: Airline reservations from US to Venice

I will be travelling to venice later this month, I got my tickets through Expedia, which does not let you pick seats. I contacted my travel agent but she was not able to get me tickets on the dates I needed, had I planned earlier she would have been able to help me. Maybe give them a call their # is posted on their website - gatewaylax.com. hope this helps the girl that usually helps me is Edith.

California
reviews: 5
2. Re: Airline reservations from US to Venice

It is true, they do hold that many seats for release the day of the flight. You can request bulkhead seats once you get to the airport that day, but those are also unavailable by booking.

We are flying home from Venice with American Airlines in April, on our way there we fly into Rome. The flight home from Venice requires two stops, but I have heard Delta does either direct or only one stop. So they may be your best bet to Venice.

reviews: 7
3. Re: Airline reservations from US to Venice

I booked thru a travel agency recently and had my seats assigned about 2 months (?) before we left. I would advise you of one thing. Italian transportation workers have been striking recently. (Go to google news and search it). They usually only strike for one day, or part of the day, but hundreds of flights into Rome, Venice, etc can be shut down. We had to spend a day in Paris before going to Rome. No big deal, but you might arrive in Rome after midnight when there are no buses or trains - only taxis that will double charge you for a ride to the hotel. It's good to plan ahead, but when traveling to/from Europe 'Semper Gumby' (Always flexible).

reviews: 7
4. Re: Airline reservations from US to Venice

BTW - I went to Orbitz and did a search for flights to Rome next Fall. Continental had some of the cheapest rates AND it lets you choose your seats online when you purchase your tickets - looked like they were the only airline that was allowing one to choose seats. Interesting.