We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gondola ride through the Venice canals

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
reviews: 27
Gondola ride through the Venice canals

How much is it to do a Gondola ride with serenading per person? Is it hard to find someone water taxi's to take you - i heard some drivers are bit of a handful and try to rip tourists off? How long does one of these rides usually take and do you get dropped off at the original place after the ride?

If we were just to take a normal Gondola ride without music and all, would it be cheaper and easily accessible?

Oregon
reviews: 21
1. Re: Gondola ride through the Venice canals

We were just there last week. The Gondolas were running around 100 US per boat for an hour. We hired a water taxi thru the hotel with guide and were out there for 2 hours for around 120 us total. We had a ball and the guide even served us Bellini cocktails. There were 4 of us and our 20 something kids did not want to do the Gondola thing. They did look very romantic especially in the dark of night though and tempting...wow what a city!

Boston...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Gondola ride through the Venice canals

We were there the end of April and we were quoted for 4 people anywhere from $100 - $120 in Euros. We were told the ride was 40 minutes and hardly any of the Gondola Rides sing/music anymore. They are very good at showing you all the sights. We chose to ride the Water buses and taxi's and it was wonderful. It was our first time there and we had a blast riding on The Grand Canal. We walked the streets of Venice and over small bridges with incredible views of the narrow small water ways off the Grand Canal. I feel we saw so much in Venice that the Gondola rides were just to expensive.

Oregon
3. Re: Gondola ride through the Venice canals

I agree with Paula..go by water taxi. Whatever you do..see the Grand Canal by water...it was an experience I will not soon forget!

Australia
reviews: 27
4. Re: Gondola ride through the Venice canals

oh i thought the gondolas were actually water taxis?? what is the difference?

How much are water taxis?? Do they just take you from one end to another.. and you will have to take another water taxi back?

So i could just ask them to take me to the grand canal and they would know what i'm talking about?

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
reviews: 94
5. Re: Gondola ride through the Venice canals

Gondolas are propelled by a gondolier with a single oar. They are pure tourist attractions unless you use the "traghetto" which are ferries across the Grand Canal operating from about 7 different locations shuttling to and fro across the Canal. Again "traghettos" are propelled by oars, sometimes with a single gondolier and soemtimes with two, one at each end. Traditionally Italians using these short distance ferries stand up!!

Private water taxis are motor launches holding usualyy upto 6 passengers plus their luggage.

Neither gondolas or private water taxis are cheap but the taxis are extremely convenient ways of getting about on routes not served by the vaporetto (water bus) ferries and are particularly convenient for getting you and your luggage to and from Marco Polo abd your hotel.

Traghettos are cheaper 0.50 euros as against 50 + - 100+ euros for gondolas and private water taxis

Boston...
reviews: 1
6. Re: Gondola ride through the Venice canals

When you get to Venice and park your car or however you are getting there, you head towards the Water (1 block). You can see it between the buildings. When you get to the beginning of the Canal this is where the Water Taxi's, Water Buses & Some Gondolas are. I suggest if you have no luggage (we did not) take the Water bus. When I came around the corner and saw the Grand Canal I thought I was dreaming. My daughter just said "Oy my this is so beautiful and exactly as you see in movies. You can sit in front outside, inside, or in the back outside of the water bus. We sat in the front and I videoed us going down the Grand Canal to almost the end where the church & palace is.

We paid $5.00 euros for this ride. There are stops along the way and you can get off but we chose to go to the end, then work our way back, on foot and on the Water Bus. The Tower has beautiful views of Venice. The church was a must for us to go in and we paid the few extra Euro's to go to the Alter, it was beautiful.

We walked through the streets but stay together it is like a maze. You walk over these small bridges with the inlets and small boats and gondola's going through them.

You can get gondola rides all along the canal so don't rush into it when you first get there. Enjoy the beauty and sights of Venice. Have fun, it is so beautiful. I am so glad I videoed.

California
reviews: 3
7. Re: Gondola ride through the Venice canals

To KG: what hotel did you stay at in Venice? Thanks!

Oregon
8. Re: Gondola ride through the Venice canals

Magnolia- We stayed at the Hotel Saturnia...info@hotelsaturnia.it

DO NOT do as we did and show up in Venice without a hotel reservation...we walked thru the streets for about 2 hours trying to find a place. We paid 258 Euros per night and by American prices it was worth every penny. Great location, hotel staff, buffet breakfast included in a beautiful courtyard. A water taxi pulls up to the backdoor for water arrivals and departures...we just loved that part...something I will never forget!