We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

courmayeur & cogne without car, no long hikes but nice view.

Which Courmayeur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
tokyo
reviews: 153
courmayeur & cogne without car, no long hikes but nice view.

hi ! we will be staying for 4 nights in courmayeur and 2 nights in cogne shortly(from end-june to early july), and would like to hear any advice on what to do.

in courmayeur,

i believe the cable car is available only to the torino hut, and for aigille du midi i need to climb up by a cable car from chamonix side. and i think at the pavillion on the way to the torino hut, there is a nice alpine flower garden which will be lovely. how about lago checroui? do we need to walk long from funivia? anything else not to be missed?

i made my senior mother walk so much in the dolomitis 2 years ago on so-called beginners' route, she loved the views but is unwilling to hike much.(maybe maximum 1 hour-90min a day? as we normally spend double the time marked required on posts...) are val ferret and val veny impossible for us? any possibility to take a bus to get close by?

in cogne, it seems possible to take bus to valnontey and walk around there, or bus to lilaz waterfalls?

i guess i should not be greedy, but near cervinia, there seems to be a lovely lake called lago blu..is it accessible from either town, or is it too complicated with public transport...?

has anyone taken any day tours with bus or van to cervinia/lago blu from courmayeur or cogne?

any suggestions for easy, short, level walks with nice views with public transport access would be highly appreciated.

thank you!! (of course, i understand the weather conditions may vary so we might not be able to do as much as we want in the end...)

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
reviews: 79
1. Re: courmayeur & cogne without car, no long hikes but nice view.

There are buses up the Val Ferret and Val Veni, as well as from Cogne to Valnontey and Lillaz. You will have no problem. Also weatherwise, a heat wave has just arrived in the area and is not likely to move away soon (although brief rain storms are always possible in the mountains as you know), so everything should be fine.

tokyo
2. Re: courmayeur & cogne without car, no long hikes but nice view.

dear FF, thank you very much for your post. glad to hear that there are buses to val ferret, val veny, valnontey and lillaz. i will stop by at biglietteria for times once there. i tried on sites without success...

also, thank you for the weather info..i heard from some others that may/june has been always raining in italy, so we keep fingers crossed!!

aberdeen
reviews: 39
3. Re: courmayeur & cogne without car, no long hikes but nice view.

The Lillaz waterfall is absolutely lovely. It is well worth walking right up to the top of the waterfall - keep going up until you come out to what is almost a meadow. Its a really lovely place to sit and have a picnic. Its not that far and there are plenty of places to stop for a rest. Just make sure your Mum has some sticks to help her!

You could also take the bus to Aosta and spend a morning there, have lunch and then head back. Its not big and an easy walk around the centre and all the Roman ruins. Plenty of places to stop for a coffee, water or an aperitivo.

You could also go to Aosta and then take the telecabina up to Pila, and then the chamole chairlift. It is then a 15 minute walk to the lago di chamole - which again is lovely. My parents both of who are in their 80's (with heart problems) have managed to walk to the lake.

However given that you have a relatively short time that may be just too much.

Enjoy!

tokyo
4. Re: courmayeur & cogne without car, no long hikes but nice view.

dear dazmagat,

thank you for your additional info! we will be stopping for about 4 hours at aosta town before heading to courmayeur, so we should be able to see the roman ruins. the telecabina and lago di chamole sound nice and easy, so we maybe able to do that. sticks, of course i will put them in my backpack! as she would not be hiking much this time, i thought of leaving hiking shoes and go just with sneakers also because hiking/trekking shoes are bulky and heavy. but would you suggest for these places you mentioned that maybe better to bring at least HER hiking/trekking shoes too, in your opinion??

aberdeen
reviews: 39
5. Re: courmayeur & cogne without car, no long hikes but nice view.

Hi again,

If you have only 4 hours in Aosta its probably not enough time to see Aosta and go up to Pila. The telecabina is about 17 minutes each way - so you could go up and just go and have a coffee.

I would definitely recommend that you take light walking / trekking shoes - it just makes the going up and down hill a bit easier. Cogne itself is pretty flat, but if you are walking up to the top of the waterfall at Lillaz then decent walking shoes although not essential would certainly be a bit more stable. I tend to wear supportive walking shoes all the time - I learned the hard way - it's the downhill that gets my knees every time so even on easy walks I now wear my walking shoes and use my sticks. (However I have been told that running down hill saves your knees!)

tokyo
6. Re: courmayeur & cogne without car, no long hikes but nice view.

thank you again for your post suggesting walking shoes even for easy walks. i made up my mind to bring her shoes and sticks now. after packing, i will see if i can slip in mine, too!!

7. Re: courmayeur & cogne without car, no long hikes but nice view.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 25, 2014