We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free Wi-fi in Turin

Which Turin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
reviews: 12
Free Wi-fi in Turin

Anyone know of places with free wi-fi?

Thanks

Florence, Italy
reviews: 74
1. Re: Free Wi-fi in Turin

Hi! sorry: not a true expert. But I know it's free and public in many places around the town: piazzale del Maglio, piazza Carlo Felice, Piazza Vittorio Veneto, piazza Carignano and some others. Registration free by mobile: www.torinofacile.it/registrazione.

Hope some expert will complete this info.

have a nice stay in Torino!

England
2. Re: Free Wi-fi in Turin

Hi There

Thank you for your response - not sure if I can use the link you sent because I will have a UK phone number.

Yes, looking forward to visiting the city very much.

Ciao

Turin, Italy
reviews: 185
3. Re: Free Wi-fi in Turin

These are the areas: http://www.comune.torino.it/wifi/

For registration, all in post #1

Edited: 4:40 pm, February 25, 2013
England
4. Re: Free Wi-fi in Turin

Thank you for your really helpful advice - very much appreciated.

Toni

Turin, Italy
reviews: 185
5. Re: Free Wi-fi in Turin

You're welcome!

London, United...
reviews: 3
6. Re: Free Wi-fi in Turin

This service http://www.comune.torino.it/wifi/ (mentioned above) looks like it's for Italians only (despite being advertised as for "tourists") because you either need an Italian ID card or an Italian phone subscription to sign up. Major fail IMHO. That's why some hotels are able to charge €5/hr for wifi in the centre. Probably initiated with good intentions but blocked by vested interests, as with so many things in Italy. Good for Italian tourists though!

Turin
reviews: 1
7. Re: Free Wi-fi in Turin

I'm sorry to crush your theory about Italy and vested interests, but simply the city of Turin decided not to allow anonymous web surfing through their servers as determined by an anti-terrorism act.

A few months ago the law was changed, and the constraints about identification loosen for Bars, pubs, Restaurants and other shops that offer free wi-fi to their customers.

In fact more and more places display the Free Wi-fi logo on their windows. For instance the bar and the art gallery in my condo: as a customer you just have to ask for the daily password.

London, United...
reviews: 3
8. Re: Free Wi-fi in Turin

Not crushing my theory at all - just confirming that the policy is and has been irrational and that there are indeed two competing forces at work; one recognising that free wifi for tourists is good for tourism, the other that … well, no rational explanation really is there.

It's a bit like taking your shoes off at some airports and not at others (G4S and other contractors have made literally billions of dollars from this), having a small bottle of evian confiscated at some airports not at others (how much have airport concessions made from water sales from this?), and now we find that actually there is no "security" reason after all that phone calls and all electronic devices have been banned for the last ten years on planes - I guess the airlines were also hoping everyone would be paying through the nose for phone and internet over their service, but that was never that lucrative and just added to customer disatisfaction.

It's completely illogical to ban free wifi on terrorism grounds if you then allow it in bars. European operators have fought for decades at the highest legal levels to protect extortionate profits on "roaming". But in order to force people to use roaming while abroad, you have to close as many loopholes as possible, be it free wifi, tethering etc etc. If you really don't think this is the case then you obviously haven't been following the billion dollar battles between telecom companies and regulators over the last two decades.

9. Re: Free Wi-fi in Turin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 25, 2014