We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asti to Turin

Which Asti hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 5
Asti to Turin

Hello,

My family and I will be staying just outside of Asti in September and we plan to rent a car while there. At the end of our stay we need to get to Verona in the late afternoon to pick up a train to take us to Austria.

I'm wondering the best way to do this. I'm thinking we can either drive from Asti to Turin and drop our car there. Or just drop our car in Astil and take a trian from there. Or I guess, if we're feeling adventurous we could drive from Asti to Verona?

I guess what I'm thinking is that there will be more trains running from Turin to Verona (or with less stops in between) but I'm also worried that it could be hard driving in Turin?

Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Moira

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
1. Re: Asti to Turin

For train times from Asti or Turin to Verona, see http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html

For me, the ease of dropping off the car in Asti would outweigh what at some departure times would be a more complicated train journey, as you would avoid the traffic in Turin and an hour's drive to get there and find the drop-off location, which might be at some distance from the station.

Driving to Verona is also a reasonable option, particularly if you can drop off close to Porta Nuova station. It should take around three hours if you drive at or close to the 80 mph speed limit, plus time for any stops on the way. And commensurately longer if you drive slower.

Asti, Italy
reviews: 2
2. Re: Asti to Turin

Moira,

its absolutely easy to drive into Turin from Asti and Turin is relatively easy to get around by car, BUT at the same time its so easy to catch the train to Turin too, there are several trains an hour and it takes 40 minutes.

However most trains to Verona leave from Milan and so going to Turin you would need to change again. You could drive directly to Milan, but that city is not so easy to drive and park as Turin, and there is only one direct train a day in the early AM, otherwise you will need to change trains in-between.

But why not go via Bologna? There are direct trains from Asti, and you can change here to Verona without making any dog-legs.

Asti, Italy
reviews: 2
3. Re: Asti to Turin

Or why not drive from Asti to Verona? Its 2.5 hours and you can stop at some interesting places on route such as Cremona or Lake Garda, or the Bassa Piacenze

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 5
4. Re: Asti to Turin

Thank you both so much for your help! We are thinking we might actually try to do the drive to Verona--especially if there are some interesting spots to stop.

I really appreciate all the feedback!

Moira

5. Re: Asti to Turin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, January 16, 2013