We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic drive near Asti

Which Asti hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Scotland
reviews: 49
Scenic drive near Asti

We are staying in Refrancore for a couple of nights next week. we've been to Asti before but haven't seen much of the surrounding area. Are there any interesting trips/drives that we can do in a day - we've been down to Alba too. Thanks

Turin, Italy
Destination Expert
for Turin
reviews: 16
1. Re: Scenic drive near Asti

There is really a lot to see around Asti.

Check this link for infos

http://www.astiturismo.it/sites/index/373

Asti, Italy
reviews: 2
2. Re: Scenic drive near Asti

If you are in Refrancore, I would take a scenic drive through the Northern Monferrato area, starts in nearby Castagnole Monferrato, home of Ruche wine, head up to Crea and visit the most interesting Sacro Monte di Crea parks.it/parco.sacro.monte.crea/Eindex.php, then over to Cocconato, wonderful hill town with stunning views, some good wineries, then down the hill and over the other side to Albugnano for the Abbazia Vezzolana, …asti.it/turismo/…abazzia-vezzolano.shtml and Castlenouvo Don Bosco and head on back via Asti.

I am sure your hosts can also advise you.

Edited: 12:06 am, May 05, 2011
Perth, Scotland
3. Re: Scenic drive near Asti

thank you, as you say lots to do and yes we will get good advice from our hosts

Santa Rosa, CA
4. Re: Scenic drive near Asti

I see that you have been both to Asti and Alba, and I would like to know which you prefer. We will be in the area beginning October and don't know where to base ourselves.

Thank you for your advice.

Mary

Perth, Western...
reviews: 307
5. Re: Scenic drive near Asti

We agree about the mention of Crea Sanctuary made by senora Villa Sampaguida, just don't cut too much as the scenic part of the regional road 457 starts in Calliano and ends in Castellazzo.

Pick Moncalvo for a lunch stop.

Perth, Scotland
6. Re: Scenic drive near Asti

that's a difficult question Mary! I think Alba has the edge for us, I think there is a wider choice of restaurants and more shops also very close to Barbaresco, Barolo etc and the scenery is lovely. In saying that it is probably more 'touristy' than Asti, so that might influence your decision. We stayed in a fabulous B&B 'la favorita'.

After saying all that we have been back to Asti at least twice more as we found the most fantastic agriturismo place outside of Asti called La Cascina Madonna and Alba isn't that far away.

In summary, both are lovely towns, so I don't think it will matter which one you choose.

Santa Rosa, CA
7. Re: Scenic drive near Asti

You have been MOST helpful. It IS nice to have good restaurants near where you're staying for those return trips back after a great bottle of wine. I'm checking out both accommodations.

Thank you.

Mary

Perth, Western...
reviews: 307
8. Re: Scenic drive near Asti

Hy Mary, we stayed in Pocapaglia near Bra last year and been so lucky to be hosted by Carla and Francesco at Cascina Minot. From there we could easily drive to Alba, Asti, Barolo, Bra, Cherasco, Pollenzo and Racconigi.

Naturally we have placed a review for Cascina Minot.

Perth, Scotland
9. Re: Scenic drive near Asti

Hi Mary for cascina Madonna you are likely to have to drive back after dinner as it is in a small village outside Asti - however they serve dinner and it is fantastic - try to get there for a meal even if you don't stay - la favorita is on the edge of alba walkable but in the evening you would want to get a taxi back as it is on the main road out of town.

Asti, Italy
reviews: 2
10. Re: Scenic drive near Asti

Hi Mary, fancy that, I lived near Santa Rosa (Forestville and Occidental) for 20 odd years. Greetings to Gravenstein country! After living here in Piedmont for 10 years, we think Asti is a better location to base yourself if you are staying for more then a few days. Its more central to the whole "zone" (the wine and food area of central Piedmont), whereas Alba is only closer to Barolo and Barbaresco, which are not far from Asti either. And its closer to Turin and easier to get to Liguria and the Lakes too. Asti is a great little city, much like Santa Rosa was 40 years ago, with a big historical centre. Alba is nice too, but smaller and IMO a more touristy (read expensive). Restaurant, shops? Sorry Cat506, I live here, Asti definitely has a wider selection of both.