We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing trains in Milano Centrale

Which Milan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
dallas
reviews: 7
Changing trains in Milano Centrale

We are arriving into Milano Centrale at 11:50am on a Trenitalia train from Lucerne and are transferring to a Frecciarossa high speed train to Naples that departs at 12:15pm.

We have all our luggage on rollers so we are mobile - any reason for a concern that the transfer is too tight or should we be in good shape? Are the platforms pretty much all in the same area in the station?

As always appreciate the help!

David

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
1. Re: Changing trains in Milano Centrale

It should be enough if your incoming train isn't late as all the platforms are on the same level but try and sit near the front of the train so that you have less to walk. As soon as you arrive check out the electronic departure board in front of the platforms and go straight to the platform.

Lido di Venezia...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Train Travel
2. Re: Changing trains in Milano Centrale

Be on the first car when arriving to avoid a long walk down the platform.

dallas
3. Re: Changing trains in Milano Centrale

thanks - should have said we are in first class on each (executive on the high speed) so I presume that is where we want to be in terms of being in the first car??

sounds like we shoudl be ok - I hope!

Edited: 1:20 pm, July 15, 2013
Maryland
reviews: 51
4. Re: Changing trains in Milano Centrale

As long as your train from Lucerne is on time you will make it to your other train, you just need to hurry up and check the very large electronic screens for which binario (platform) your train is on. Or just ask the Trenitalia staff at the end of your arriving platform. Their staff are at every platform at Milano Centrale and always ready to help. I have found them very helpful and the ones I have encountered spoke English as well.

dallas
5. Re: Changing trains in Milano Centrale

got it......sounds like as long as our trip from Lucerne is on time we should be ok................counting on swiss timing precision!! :)

Edited: 1:45 pm, July 15, 2013
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
6. Re: Changing trains in Milano Centrale

If the train tickets to Milan are reserved, I don't think you can choose to sit in the first car of the train -

I've had some delays on trains to and from Switzerland into Milan but I it was trains going to the lakes - And, on each of those trains (3 times the last 4 years), inspectors of some sort came onto the train and asked random people (I didn't see any profiling in these instances at all) to show them what was in their suitcase and/or purses. Last time in December, the inspector asked a very elderly Swiss woman next to me to open her purse that was on her lap - it was a smallish purse and when she opened it, he pushed the sides open with a pen and rooted around inside. Then walked off. I've seen people with kids asked to open their bags as well - but, really all so random and I have no idea how often it happens. Happened each time at first or last stop in Switzerland before leaving or entering Italy.

dallas
7. Re: Changing trains in Milano Centrale

huh???!!

momcat I assume the train was stopped while the inspector inspected?

another questuon...............we have tickets (advance fare though) on the Frecciarossa.................if we miss can we just take the next one or will they make us true-up to the rate of the day?

thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
8. Re: Changing trains in Milano Centrale

On one of those delayed trains coming into Milan from Switzerland, I had a ticket on a reserved train to Florence that I missed. I waited in line, explained what happened - they checked on it and then made a notation on my ticket and told me to take the next train to Florence; I did but since I didn't have a reserved seat on it and the train was packed, I ended up sitting on the floor near one of the doors - in first class (which is what my ticket was for because all the second class ones had sold out when I bought mine). The inspector took a peek at it and moved on.

I don't know if that is at all the usual way to handle the situation (I doubt it) as my understanding is that if you miss the train you have one hour in which to get another ticket for the available train without having to pay again. I think my experience was unusual because it was a holiday and trains were overflowing. (The holiday didn't have anything to do with my Swiss train delay - just some of the sold out trains in Italy). Tiresome day that ended up being so much longer than I originally thought it would be - c'est la vie. There was nothing to do about it but schmooze with fellow passengers sitting on the floor with me and sharing some wine -

You can't just board the next train because you have seats reserved as will others on the next train - What happened with me was, I am pretty sure based on my many Italian train experiences, a rare situation.

Over the past years, trains have run bang on time so when something happens that is unusual, it stands out in my mind.

dallas
9. Re: Changing trains in Milano Centrale

oy!!! at least it was just to florence??!!

got it.....................we are traveling on a Sunday but fingers crossed all goes well! I guess my main question of if the platforms are close is answered yes so hopefully we will be fine :)

thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
10. Re: Changing trains in Milano Centrale

Honestly, that situation with me missing the train and the others all being sold out was so unusual - probably happens so rarely. Certainly wouldn't worry about it.