We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Converting my money and transportation from the airport...

Which Milan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
texas
Converting my money and transportation from the airport...

My first questions is, whats the best way to convert my american money over to euros when i get to Milan? I've read that there are ATMs available for use at the air port for money conversion. is that the best way? let me know what you think!

Next question-

I am arriving to Milan (Malpensa) at 1:45 pm, what would everyone suggest i use for transportation from the airport to my next location. (My apt. on Via Magolfa) Thanks so very much!

-Emily

Milan Italy
reviews: 1
1. Re: Converting my money and transportation from the airport...

The train, called Malpensa Express costs 5.5 Euro each way. It leaves every 30 minutes all day long. Its an express train to downtown Milan. It takes about 45 minutes. You have to buy your ticket in advance at the ticket window.. then show your ticket to the girl on the train after the train takes off. It is the cheapest and fastest and cleanest way to travel from Malpensa to downtown. The train cars look brand new. When I leave USA I get Euros at my home back in USA before going overseas. USA banks try to dump euros, so you get them cheaper.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
reviews: 25
2. Re: Converting my money and transportation from the airport...

modelemi, You will get the best exchange rate at the ATM (bankomat) in Italy. You get euro and your checking account is debited in dollars.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
3. Re: Converting my money and transportation from the airport...

You should only to take the minimum of US $ to get you to/from your US airport. Unless one were doing some sort of "back alley" exchange; changing cash Dollars to cash Euros will be at the worst possible rates.

To get the best inter-bank exchange rates use major credits and ATM cards. Buy a few Euros from your local bank before you go to Europe so you can get by until you find an ATM. Based upon experience, here a few other thoughts about Credit/ATM cards in Europe.

Make sure your ATM card will "work" by checking with the issuer. VISA "Interlink" system or VISA "Plus" system ATM cards will work and ATM cards can usually only be linked to a checking account/not a saving account. Your PIN number can ONLY be 4 digits in Europe.

Call the issuer(s) of both your Credit card(s) and ATM card and tell them approx. where/when you are going so that they will not “lock” the account (thinking that the card is stolen). Also find out if there is a daily limit to the amount of $/€ that can be withdrawn. Perhaps increase the amount.

Because the number is on the back of the card, write down the USA phone number that you would call if the card(s) were stolen. Make sure you understand what the charges may be for using the ATM card "out of the system". If the charge were $2/ transaction, get 200 Euro instead of 100 twice.

marsi77
reviews: 1
4. Re: Converting my money and transportation from the airport...

The Malpensa express train is 11 Euros one way and 14.50 Euros round trip. It however stops in Cadorna Station not Milano Centrale. To get to Milano Centrale, there is the bus which is 5.5 Euros

reviews: 29
5. Re: Converting my money and transportation from the airport...

Whatever you do, DON"T change money at Malpensa airport - I was charged a whopping 6% commission fee. Enquire with your bank whether Italian banks charge fees for use of ATM.

Enjoy!