We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milan or Verona?

Which Milan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 42
Milan or Verona?

Hello there

We have two full days (two nights, one day) at opposite ends of a week of skiing in the Dolomites to spend either both in Milan or one in Milan and one in Verona (then travel back to Milan to fly out). Would love to hear any suggestions in terms of things to do/see in both cities, accommodation etc. We fly into and out of Milan. We are travelling in Feb...

Look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Janine

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
reviews: 146
1. Re: Milan or Verona?

Willnino,

if you're into art go and see the last Supper in Milan. It is truly amazing. Stand at the back of the room to view for a full appreciation. In summer you need to pre book well in advance as they only take in about 15 at a time. Not sure on the wait in Winter.

can recommend Sabatini restaurant to eat at. We went with a business friend of my husband who lives in Milan. Food was some of the best I've ever eaten in Italy.

Can't recommend accom becuase i didn't like were we stayed!

Castello Sforzica is also interesting.

Haven't stayed in Verona

Stavanger, Norway
reviews: 128
2. Re: Milan or Verona?

Hi

My wife and I spent a few days in Milan before we went to Venice in June last year. I have posted a trip report with some pictures on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com. There you will find info about the hotel we used, what there is to see and do etc. Hope that it can be of some use to you :-)

Regards

Gard

Melbourne, Australia
3. Re: Milan or Verona?

Thankyou both for your suggestions. We will have to see the Last Supper now Guruswife, a number of people have now mentioned it. Janine is probably more into art than I but then again I haven't really had much exposure to it. Have seen a lot of your posts helping out people travelling to Aust....great work...even if slightly Sydney biased...:-))

I have read a lot of your Milan-Venice trip Gard and will take a lot out of your suggestions. Still not sure where to stay in Venice but will get organized soon.

Will

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
reviews: 8
4. Re: Milan or Verona?

I'd suggest one day in each. We spent a day in Verona a couple of summers ago (we were based in Vicenza) and liked it a lot. It's an attractive city on the river Adige with beautiful churches and attractive squares and most famously (apart from Juliet's balcony!) the Roman arena which is awesome.

Milan I visited a lot longer ago and remember it as not particularly attractive (much more metropolitan feel) though obviously good for art. The thing I remember best and loved most, was going on the roof of the cathedral. However in Feb. maybe not an option for you! I also visited La Scala.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
reviews: 146
5. Re: Milan or Verona?

Will,

Thank you for the compliment! I like Melbourne too! it's certainly the place for sport. Looking forward to coming down for the Commonwealth Games in 2006.

Have a great weeks skiing and enjoy!

Deni

Manchester NH
6. Re: Milan or Verona?

I was in Milan earlier this year and would recommend it for 2 days. It is rich with history--the Duomo with parishiner capacity of 40,000, the architect of the Duomo, La Scala, considered one of the world's finest operas, the history of the end of WW2 and the buildings that were bombed, the evidence of Mussolini in architecture, and the mural of "The Last Supper" It is a fascinating city--great food and different than the rest of Italy. I would recommend a restaurant called Brunos that I had read about prior to the trip. It is a traditional Italian restaurant with wonderful food. Probably most of all--the high fashion. It is fun to see.

USA
7. Re: Milan or Verona?

Without question, spend your two days in Verona; it is one of the most beautiful cities in Italy, and I have seen just about all of them north of Rome. Verona has everything within its medieval walls....the Roman Colosseum, the beautiful Piazza Bra, handsome families gathered around the fountain, great restaurants and shopping, and everything is spotless. Stay at the Due Torre; it's pricey but worth every coin.

Melbourne, Australia
8. Re: Milan or Verona?

Well Deni, hope you enjoy the games when you get to Melb. Feel free to ask any questions on Melb if you need help, guessing though that you know your way around ok.

Milan or Verona....hmmmm, thanks everyone for both views on these places. Not sure yet where we will go, both places sound inviting. Does anyone know if Verona and Milan will be similar in weather conditions....??