We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day triip to Zermatt from Baveno

Which Baveno hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
reviews: 11
Day triip to Zermatt from Baveno

I will be in Baveno for 3 nights in early Sept and would like to visit Zermatt to view the Matterhorn. Is there any transportation available that will allow us to do this in one day.

thank you

5 replies to this topic
USA
reviews: 15
1. Re: Day triip to Zermatt from Baveno

If doable,that sounds like kind of an awkward day trip to me. I would be inclined to extend your trip so you can stay overnight in Zermatt or just stay in Baveno and enjoy the lovely Lake Maggiore area and the mountains around it. Places like Lugano and Como are much more doable as day trips from Maggiore.

If you go on the German rail website (bahn.de) you may be able to get routing for a trip to Zermatt.

If you are flying into Milan or Geneva, and the weather is clear, you may be able to see Mt. Blanc, though not the Matterhorn. I have been to Zermatt and seen the Matterhorn, and though it is nice, I would much rather spend more time in the Italian lakes than go to Zermatt again..

USA
reviews: 15
2. Re: Day triip to Zermatt from Baveno

I just went on the bahn.de website and arbitrarily picked a weekday in early September to travel from Baveno to Zermatt. The three results I got took from 3 to almost 5 hours one way, with 2 changes enroute. You should go on that site with a specific date and see if you could get up there and back in one day.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
3. Re: Day triip to Zermatt from Baveno

If you take a taxi to Stresa station three miles away, the journey to Zermatt from there is possible in 2.5 hours with only one change of train.

Cincinnati, Ohio
reviews: 26
4. Re: Day triip to Zermatt from Baveno

There is a tour company that has a Monday day trip from Stresa to Zermatt. I saw the company when I was thinking about staying at Stresa. The company has "viaggi" in the name. I don't have a link handy but you might use google to find it or find the tourist info site for Stresa.

ireland
reviews: 1
5. Re: Day triip to Zermatt from Baveno

The tour company is Tomassucci Viaggi, sorry I'm rubbish at links, but if you google it, it will come up.

A good site about the area is Stresa Sights blogspot.

Reply to: Day triip to Zermatt from Baveno
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted