We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Como area or Lugano, Switzerland

Which Como hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
texas
reviews: 3
Lake Como area or Lugano, Switzerland

We are a 70ish couple in good health and seasoned travelers. We are planning to spend a few days in the Lake Como / Lugano area and will try to visit both places. We will be arriving by train from Milan and will not have a car. I am looking for suggestions about which of these places, Como or Lugano, would make the best base for seeing the area. We have traveled a lot in both Italy and Switzerland but have never been to this area in either country. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mark

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
1. Re: Lake Como area or Lugano, Switzerland

I would stay in Lake Como and do a day trip to Lugano mainly because of the difference in cost Lugano is very expensive compared to Italy.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
2. Re: Lake Como area or Lugano, Switzerland

Although Lake Lugano is lovely and you could stay on the Italian side of Lake Lugano for lower prices than the Swiss side of Lake Lugano, the transport is more convenient from Lake Como, and you would find more to see and do on Lake Como.

Vagabonda

texas
reviews: 3
3. Re: Lake Como area or Lugano, Switzerland

Thanks for the replys. I think we will stay in Como.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
4. Re: Lake Como area or Lugano, Switzerland

Really Lake Como is ideal - Enjoy!

Vagabonda

5. Re: Lake Como area or Lugano, Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, August 21, 2013