We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice to Bellagio to Tuscany

Which Bellagio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Elburn, Illinois
reviews: 88
Venice to Bellagio to Tuscany

I am trying to decide where I want to rent a car.....

I know that I will not need one nor want one in Venice. I know that I do want one in Tuscany.

I am concerned with all of the stops/connections and time it will take to get from Venice to Bellagio via train... train from Venice to Milan to Como to Varenna and then ferry to Bellagio. I think that sounds like a hassle especially with luggage and not speaking Italian. It seems this will take about 5 hrs +.

I did googlemaps and it looks like only 3 1/2 hrs to drive from Venice to Bellagio. Is the drive really bad? How much of it is bad? I know that I really don't need the rental car in Bellagio but I am thinking renting in Venice might be easier than trying to rent in Lake Como area. We will be leaving Lake Como to Tuscany on a Monday. If I did want to rent in Lake Como area... where would be best?

I am pretty sure we want to drive from Lake Como to Tuscany b/c my husband wants to stop at Ferrari place that is in between.

Suggestions? Feedback on the drive?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: Venice to Bellagio to Tuscany

To get from Venice to Bellagio by train requires only two changes. You take a fast train from Venice to Milan, and then either a train to Varenna and ferry to Bellagio, or else a train to Como and then ferry or bus to Bellagio. The time from Venice to Varenna is about 4 hours.

Google Maps is hopeless at estimating driving time in Europe. You will get more accurate estimates from www.viamichelin.com which gives an estimated driving time of 4h30 (plus stops) at a cost of €15.60 in tolls and about €35 in fuel. Most of the journey would be on autostrada (toll motorway), but the last 60 km would be along ordinary roads, and parts of this would be narrow with many bends,

If you want to pick up a rental car around Lake Como, I would think that the only place with car rentals would be Como.

My choice would be to drive, but it is your decision.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 50
2. Re: Venice to Bellagio to Tuscany

As Nick says, we have driven the lakeside roads. They are narrow and often go through small villages where you could reach out and touch the house walls. The boy racers in BMWs seem to love it. But taken slowly it is fine and at least you are driving the same side of the road/car as you are used to.

We have had a car twice staying on Lake Como but if you are just staying in Bellagio and using the ferry on the lake, you might not want/use a car there.

3. Re: Venice to Bellagio to Tuscany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, October 29, 2014