We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milan to Bellagio

Which Bellagio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Milan to Bellagio

My wife and I trying to get from Milan to Bellagio for the day on Monday, November 4th. What's the best way to get there? We'd like to see as much of the lake as possible, so we'd really like a route that has some portion on a boat.

Is it better to take a train to Como or Varenna and then take a ferry over? We'd also be going back to Milan on the same day, so we'd need a location that has a train back to Milan sometime in the evening. Thanks!!

5 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 38
1. Re: Milan to Bellagio

Hi John,

We did a daytrip from Milano to Bellaggio: train up to Como, and took the ferry up to Bellaggio. I loved it! I liked that the ferry made a number of stops along the way...made for more leisurely sightseeing of the beautiful villas, etc. along the waterfront.

Lunch in Bellaggio, explore the town, shop, and ferry back to Como and train home. Keep an eye on ferry and train schedules for coming home so your waits aren't too long. ...although we enjoyed exploring Como a bit as well when we had a bit of a wait for the train.

See:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187849-s407/Milan:It…

-Karl

-K

Edited: 6:14 pm, October 27, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
2. Re: Milan to Bellagio

You could take a train from Milan Central station to Varenna. Spend some time looking around this pretty little town, then go down to the waterfront and catch the short ferry ride to Bellagio. You can spend some time in this town, and have lunch at a waterfront restaurant. Then take the long and scenic ferry ride to Como, then a train from Como Lago station to Milan Cadorna.

San Diego...
3. Re: Milan to Bellagio

Thanks for your help! Because I don't know exactly what time we'll be wanting to head back to Milan, can we just but our train ticket at the station? Or does it save a lot to book it ahead of time?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
4. Re: Milan to Bellagio

These are local trains. There are no seat reservations and no discounts. Tickets are valid on any local train for the journey purchased. Before you get on the train, you must time-stamp the ticket in a machine at the station.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
5. Re: Milan to Bellagio

I would go with Nicks suggestion to go via Varenna and return via Como or Vice versa that way you get to see more and you don't book the trains in advance so no need to worry about getting a particular train.

Reply to: Milan to Bellagio
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted