We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get here from MXP and What to do

Which Bellagio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
reviews: 13
How to get here from MXP and What to do

Thrilled to be going to lake Como for just two days in early september. How does one get from MXP to Bellagio by train? I have read to take the train to varenna and then ferry to bellagio. Can tickets be purchased in advance? Is there a website etc.

Next, where to stay in Bellagio. We are thinking of splurging and booking The Grand Hotel Serbelloni since it is only one night's stay and they seem to boast the best views and a lovely pool area. Any other recommendations?

Any recommendations on must do/sees for this short trip?

And lastly, where to eat. So far my search has lead me to this:

Lunch at La Pergola

Dinner at Il Gato Nero

Gelato at Gelateria del Borgo

any advice is deeply appreciated!

17 replies to this topic
San Diego
reviews: 218
11. Re: How to get here from MXP and What to do

Well, I read the above posts and have similar travel plan and same questions. We fly into MXP and planned to take train to central station, then up to Varenna. We chose this since the boat ride is very short over to Bellagio, which is good for me since I have sickness with long boat rides. Now I am not sure of this plan with the confusing information on Varenna train stop and so many other options. We do have lots of time to get to the lake as our flight comes in at 9:30 in the morning. Going back to MXP our travel time will be pressed, as our flight leaves at 12:00. Wondering about taking a shuttle or van from Bellagio to return to MXP directly, to avoid any problems with train schedules. I found fly lake shuttle for 50 euro each person. Wondering if this is a good company and price?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 11
12. Re: How to get here from MXP and What to do

Is that for a flight back to the U.S.? If so, you need to be at Malpensa three hours before departure. I'm too much of a nervous nellie so I always spend the night in the city from which I am flying. That is up to you, of course. I don't know about that service - hopefully, someone can answer you but do not cut short the time at which you need to be at the airport. It is crazy these days -

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
13. Re: How to get here from MXP and What to do

Wanted to also point out that via driving, it will take roughly 1 hour and 40 minutes to reach Malpensa from Bellagio - depending on traffic, of course.

Como, Italy
reviews: 40
14. Re: How to get here from MXP and What to do

I understand Wander's point, but should you decide to go via Como, travelling to Como San Giovanni station will mean that you are a long way from the boat and will have to get a taxi or take a longish walk to catch your boat. An alternative from there is the bus.

It's really not complicated to buy a ticket from Malpensa to Como Nord Lago via Saronno. The fare is around €8.75 so it is cheaper than going the long way round too. However, the timings aren't great and going by public transport almost always involves some waiting around. They just don't seem to have worked out an integrated timetable that works for tourists. Here are your three main options

A. You could aim to get the 11.43 Malpensa express from the airport to Saronno, but you might not connect with the 12.04, and have to wait for the 13.04 to Como. This would still get you to Como in time for the 14.20 fast boat that will get you to Bellagio for 15.02.

B Go to Milano Centrale by bus or train. In the middle of the day the trains leave Milano Centrale for Varenna every two hours. You are unlikely to catch the 12.20 so you would have to get the 14.20, which will get you to Varenna at about 15.30 and then you would have to get the ferry at 15.50 (car ferry as foot passengers) or 16.21.

C. Buy through tickets at the airport to Como S Giovanni Take the Malpensa Express and get off at Porta Garibaldi. Take the 13.09 to Como (no worries if you miss this one - they are every half hour and take 59 minutes). Then take the bus from outside the station to Bellagio. It goes from the station at 14.20 (you buy the tickets at the station bar) and arrives in Bellagio at 15.30.

I estimate that any of these options would cost you in the region of €20 each.

Hope that helps!

Edited: 5:44 pm, August 13, 2013
Como, Italy
reviews: 40
15. Re: How to get here from MXP and What to do

I would say 1 hour 40 minutes would be an absolute minimum drive time between Malpensa and Bellagio. Two hours would be more like it. Bellagio is a difficult place to get to and from. Geographically it presents a lot of challenges, of the water and mountain variety. If you have a midday flight to the US I would definitely advise staying somewhere else the night before, perhaps in Como town. And you know, you don't have to stay in Bellagio - there are lots of lovely places on the lake!

Edited: 6:00 pm, August 13, 2013
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
16. Re: How to get here from MXP and What to do

I agree that is the minimum drive time - I have taken longer but that seems to be the amount of time frequently mentioned; I'd never do this if I were taking an international flight because you just never know what can happen - but, that's me.

Atlanta
reviews: 13
17. Re: How to get here from MXP and What to do

Thank you simple Joys! I think We will do option A. Our flight actually arrives at 10 am so now I am going to look up for the time tables for the train and ferry rides.

Reply to: How to get here from MXP and What to do
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted