We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Milan/Malpensa Airport from the Lake Como area

Which Bellagio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 2
Getting to Milan/Malpensa Airport from the Lake Como area

Would like to spend the last few days of our trip in the Lake Como area. Was originally looking at a hotel in a town called Cadenabbia, but with more research, realized it seems much harder to get to and from than Bellagio or Varenna. I am most concerned about being able to get back easily to Malpensa Airport on a Sunday morning-- our flight leaves Milan at 10:25am, and I am traveling with two kids, so trying to keep things as easy and stress-free as possible! Seems like there might be a train that goes from Varenna to Malpensa-- is that right? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
1. Re: Getting to Milan/Malpensa Airport from the Lake Como area

There is no direct train from Varenna to Malpensa. You have to take one train to Milan Central, and change there for another train to Malpensa.

There is only one journey that would get you to Malpensa in time for a 10.25 departure. You take the first train out of Varenna at 05.36, arriving Milan at 06.50. Then depart Milan at 07.25, arriving Malpensa 08.17.

See www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html using a travel date of 10 March to see Sunday times and costs.

New York City, New...
reviews: 2
2. Re: Getting to Milan/Malpensa Airport from the Lake Como area

Thanks for your help! Do you know Cadenabbia at all... is it a nice town and location to be in on the lake?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
3. Re: Getting to Milan/Malpensa Airport from the Lake Como area

I think I spent an hour or so there one time when we stayed in Bellagio. It seemed pleasant, but I don't know it well.

Varenna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Lake Como
reviews: 10
4. Re: Getting to Milan/Malpensa Airport from the Lake Como area

If you're looking for as easy and stress-free as possible, I'd give some serious consideration to hiring a car service. ComoLimo.com & LakeComoTaxi.com are good choices on the western branch (Cadenabbiao or Bellagio) -- best prices would likely be €150-175, possibly a little more depending on how much stuff you're carrying between you.

On a Sunday with the current bus schedule (which runs through mid-June) you're looking at having to catch the very first bus at anywhere from 5.25 (Cadenabbia) to 5.55 a.m. (Bellagio) in order to catch the last feasible train from Como to Malpensa (for which you'd still need to change trains in Saronno) at 7.17 (arrives Malpensa at 8.25). Coming from Varenna, you'd need to catch a 5.30 a.m. train to Milan to get the 7.25 a.m. train to Malpensa (arrives Malpensa 8.17). This all assumes of course, that nothing goes wrong and everything runs on time, too, which is no small assumption in Italy.

Chester, United...
reviews: 4
5. Re: Getting to Milan/Malpensa Airport from the Lake Como area

Try Easy Airport Taxis, I've been quoted 94 euros for 2 people with luggage from Bellagio on Lake Como to Bergamo airport in May. Our flight leaves at 10.45 so no time for public transport. Travel time approx 1 hour 10 minutes, maybe worth a try. Louise

6. Re: Getting to Milan/Malpensa Airport from the Lake Como area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 24, 2014