We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Malpensa Airport to Bellagio

Which Bellagio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 1
Transport from Malpensa Airport to Bellagio

Will be flying into MXP (or Malpensa Airport in Milan) arriving around 7 am. Have the arrival day and the day after to spend in Bellagio, Lake Como and then need to back at Malpensa Airport early morning by the 3rd day. Can someone please help me with the best options to travel to Bellagio and back to the airport again within this time frame? Many thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: Transport from Malpensa Airport to Bellagio

From Malpensa, take either train or bus to Milan Central station. From there, take a train to Varenna, and then a short ferry ride to Bellagio.

If you have to be at Malpensa airport early in the morning, you might do better to spend the previous night in Milan.

Como, Italy
reviews: 26
2. Re: Transport from Malpensa Airport to Bellagio

I would do the classic: lenord train from airport direction milan, stop at saronno to change train to como, from como waterfront ferry or hydrofoil to bellagio.

To be back early morning in Malpensa I agree with sydneynick, it's better to sleep in Milan.

Bangkok, Thailand
3. Re: Transport from Malpensa Airport to Bellagio

Thank you for both replies. Timing-wise would the first option (i.e. train/bus to Central Milan Station followed by train to Varenna and short ferry ride to Bellagio) versus the second (i.e. lenord train to Como and ferry ride to Bellagio) - which would be faster?

I have also read online about a Malpensa Express train (via this link):

http://www.trenitalia.com/

Read that one should key in "Malpensa" as departing station and "Como Nord Lago" as the destination station. The shortest duration train ride in the mornings are showing around 59 mins (this, I believe, is inclusive of train change in Saronno). Not sure how this train schedule differs from the lenord train and if the departing and arrival stations are even the same.

Would really appreciate your guidance on this. Many thanks !

Como, Italy
reviews: 26
4. Re: Transport from Malpensa Airport to Bellagio

All the solution you'll find with arrival at como nord lago (como waterfront) are operated by lenord. When you see on the website "cambio" at Milano CA, it means that the malpensa express does not stop at Saronno, so the train arrive at Milano CA(dorna) and you change there for como.

I usually prefer the como vs the varenna option because the ferry ride from como to bellagio is not comparable with a dull train direct to Varenna, but if the timing is what matters I don't know, maybe the Varenna option is faster.

Lezzeno, Italy
Destination Expert
for Lake Como
reviews: 8
5. Re: Transport from Malpensa Airport to Bellagio

Timing-wise, they're about the same, but it all depends on what schedules pop up for your travel times. Remember to factor in all legs of your trip (trains, ferries) and you can probably determine for yourself by checking timetables at www.lenord.it and www.navigazionelaghi.it/eng/com/nlc_ora.html and see which comes out on top in your particular case.

Doncaster, United...
6. Re: Transport from Malpensa Airport to Bellagio

I would get a hire car. You need to change too many times for public transport. With a car, you are then free to get around during your stay and car take the car on the ferrys from Bellagio to explore further.

Seattle
7. Re: Transport from Malpensa Airport to Bellagio

Well, I do not agree with the experts on returning from Bellagio for an early flight. Many times I have had a private hire pick me up for a 7am and even earlier flights. Frankly, I feel a whole day at the lake with no deadline to depart is worth the time and money. The same local firm has ferried me to the airport for several years and I could even take a nap on the journey. Yes, it is expensive, but I ask "when will I be back for this experience"? Also, the energy involved to leave and transfer to the airport hotel, as well as arising and transporting in the morning is an additional consideration. To me it is better to have one more night wit h no worries at the lake. Likely there are several taxi firms that offer this service, but I would be please to share the name of the people that have taken care of me.

Sunshine Coast...
reviews: 14
8. Re: Transport from Malpensa Airport to Bellagio

I totally agree with Sony, I always book private transfers from airport to hotel and return. It is worth every euro. Relaxing, not worrying about getting luggage on and off or changing trains looking for platforms and buying tickets, all very stressful to me.

Bangkok, Thailand
9. Re: Transport from Malpensa Airport to Bellagio

Many thanks Sony for your advice. I would really appreciate if you could please share with me the names and contact details of the private taxi transfer operators you have used previously.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 575
10. Re: Transport from Malpensa Airport to Bellagio

I also agree with Sony, especially since you have limited time in Bellagio. If you cannot self drive I suggest you hire a private driver this will make your trip hassle free & save you having to worry about all the transport changes with trains / ferries.

We have driven from Milan to lake Como a few times & its all relevantly easy. The only problem is allowing for traffic conditions in peak times as it can get congested..

I'm sure your hotel would be able to arrange this for you.

Edited: 3:07 am, March 26, 2011