We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please!

Which Lake Como hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lake Macquarie...
reviews: 107
Help please!

Hello,

I have sent a message previously, but maybe my question was too hard! I would love feedback on our planned stay.

I booked 4 nights stay in Lake Maggiore (Stressa) and 6 nights on Lake Como (Bellagio). I can change my bookings if need. After this we travel by rental car to Lake Garda for 5 nights.

Without a car in Lake Maggiore and Lake Como, is this too much time to stay in these areas? We have never done the Lakes District. I guess the ferry costs would add up, so maybe a car would be better.

Looking forward to some feedback from TA's. Thank you.

California
1. Re: Help please!

Not sure when you are going and it depends on how you travel and what you want to do. For me it would be just about right. You can take ferries and tours and just sit and drink wine, There is shopping and walking. I'd personally cut a day off each place and after skirting Garda I'd take the drive up to Val Gardena.(The Dolomites) It is close. I see you have been asking many questions on TA. Do you have a good guidebook to Northern Italy and the Lakes Region? It would help you decide.

Lake Macquarie...
2. Re: Help please!

Hi Mike M,

Thank you for replying so soon!

I have been researching from Thomas Cook driving guides Northern Italy and Italian Lakes.

We are arriving at Lake Maggiore May 14th.

I have rehashed our itinerary in the North Italy region so many times! Ugh! So much to see and so little time!

So .. now thinking -

4 nights Stressa Lake Maggiore

4 nights Bellagio Lake Como

4 nights Bardolino Lake Garda

4 nights Ortisei Dolomites

Leave Dolomites and drive down to drop the car off at Udine and train it to Trieste (4 nights) for the Gira

or

Drive from Dolomites to Trieste.

I feel that I will be back tracking a bit as after Trieste we will be heading to Austria.

Thank you again for your interest and would still love more feedback from yourself and other TA's.

California
3. Re: Help please!

This looks good to me. I am not sure where you are going in Austria, but it is not a long way from Ortisei (Bolzano) to Innsbruck if you want to go there before Trieste. I do not want to second guess you, but rather help. What do you want to get out of your trip? What interests you most? Last year we started in Verona and went to the Dolomites, Austria, Como and Garda and back out of Verona. Great trip and all very easy by car. Let's hope others give you some information.

Lake Macquarie...
4. Re: Help please!

Mike M,

Thank you again!

We fly into Milan and out of Frankfurt - 9 weeks all up!

That is why I started with the Lakes and wanting to move east to be in Trieste for the Gira bike race. Hubby is a keen cyclist, so I have been working around this for him.

I have not explored Austria or Germany as yet, just getting my head around Northern Italy!

We are slow travellers, wanting to experience the food, wine, small towns, scenery, walks, photography, etc etc!

Past holidays we have stayed a minimum of 5 - 7 nights on farms, chalets, castles, b & b's using these as a base to explore each day.

5. Re: Help please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, November 09, 2014