We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Malpensa to Lake Como with Public Transit

Which Lake Como hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lezzeno, Italy
Destination Expert
for Lake Como
reviews: 8
Getting from Malpensa to Lake Como with Public Transit

There are a couple of mix-and-match ways to do this beyond the obvious car-rental, private shuttle, or car-and-driver service options, and I thought it would be nice to have them all in one place for the start of the new tourist season ...

***WEST (COMO-COLICO) BRANCH:

*TO COMO: Catch the Malpensa Express train to Saronno station run by Le Nord (leaves from lower level of terminal 1), change for Como Lago (end of line). Tickets sold at Malpensa just above the platforms, no need to book in advance. [Times can be consulted at www.trenord.it (no English as of yet, but pretty basic interface -- input Da: "Malpensa Aeroporto" A: "Como Lago")]

Como (Nord) Lago station is right across from the waterfront, so if you're staying in Como, you've reached your destination.

*ON UP THE LAKE: From here you have two main options:

1) Cross the street to the left to the ferry ticket booth and catch a ferry or hydrofoil directly to destination town

[boat schedules: www.navlaghi.it/eng/c_orari.asp]

OR

2) Bus C30 to towns up to and including Bellagio (Blevio, Nesso, Lezzeno, etc.)

Bus C10 to towns up to and including Colico (Menaggio, Argegno, Dongo, etc.)

[bus schedules may be consulted at www.asfautolinee.it/it-it/lineeeorari/orariolineeinpdf/reteextraurbana.aspx]

*NOTE* It's also possible to follow one of the options below, then catch a ferry from Varenna over to Bellagio -- usually this is a bit more trouble (you'll need to come a few hundred meters, mostly downhill, from the Varenna/Esino train station to the ferry, and backtracking to Milan Central isn't the most direct way to the central lake), but sometimes the times work out to be similar to the train/ferry combo above.

***EAST (LECCO-COLICO) BRANCH:

*TO TOWNS LECCO-VARENNA (inclusive):

You start out with two options from Malpensa to Milan -- either:

1) Catch a Malpensa Express *train* to Milano Centrale

[Times can be consulted at www.trenord.it (no English as of yet, but pretty basic interface -- input Da: "Malpensa Aeroporto" A: "Milano Centrale")]

OR

2) Catch a Malpensa Shuttle *bus* to Milano Centrale

*TO/UP THE LAKE:

From Milan's Central Station you can then catch a regional train (usually headed for Tirano or Sondrio) to Lecco, Varenna/Esino, Bellano or Colico. For stops between Lecco and Varenna (Fiumelatte, Lierna), you'd need to get off at Lecco and change to a more local train heading in the same direction.

Hope this helps!

Kat

81 replies to this topic
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
reviews: 78
1. Re: Getting from Malpensa to Lake Como with Public Transit

Good job Kat, but I think you should elaborate this in the form of a TA Inside page, like the one I did for Varenna: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187837-s301/Varenna:…

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
2. Re: Getting from Malpensa to Lake Como with Public Transit

Thanks Kat

Stresa, Italy
3. Re: Getting from Malpensa to Lake Como with Public Transit

Super KAT.... just mail tripadvisor and ask them to put a pin/sticky on this post so that it always remains at the top of the forum...

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
4. Re: Getting from Malpensa to Lake Como with Public Transit

Train times may be easier to find for people on http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html in English. Except you have to get the station names right for the website's requirements - i.e. Malpensa Aeroporto or Milano Malpensa for the airport, and Como Nord Lago for Como Lago. Just Varenna works fine for Varenna-Esino.

Hereford
reviews: 51
5. Re: Getting from Malpensa to Lake Como with Public Transit

molto grazie!

england
reviews: 31
6. Re: Getting from Malpensa to Lake Como with Public Transit

Hi,

Fantastic info, Cheers.

Which way is better if we hire a car at Mapensa or Bergamo?

Is it better to go up the east side of the lake to Varrena and and catch the ferry to Menaggio, or take what seems the long way round on the western side?

Wanderer

EDINBURGH SCOTLAND
reviews: 4
7. Re: Getting from Malpensa to Lake Como with Public Transit

there is a £20 each way transfer from the airport to the lakes

callum in edinburgh

Halifax, West...
reviews: 57
8. Re: Getting from Malpensa to Lake Como with Public Transit

Hi Callum

Where did you get your transfer at £20 from and where on the Lake was it to?

H

EDINBURGH SCOTLAND
reviews: 4
9. Re: Getting from Malpensa to Lake Como with Public Transit

Edinburgh hello, i am being told so many thing re getting to lake como, the latest is that it is £12 each way by express train from Malpensa airport to Saronna then transfer to Train Le Nord to Como. I am going this friday so will find out when i arrive, when are you going? then I can let you know

cheers Callum

Halifax, West...
reviews: 57
10. Re: Getting from Malpensa to Lake Como with Public Transit

Thanks Callum

We leave on July 22nd so if you are back by then it would be good to know.

I have had the train information but if it is only £20 by transfer I am sure that will be a lot quicker and easier.

From Helen an ex Edinburgh lass!!

Reply to: Getting from Malpensa to Lake Como with Public Transit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted