We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bergamo to Bellagio,train or bus?

Which Bergamo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 10
Bergamo to Bellagio,train or bus?

Hi, I have searched this forum for related questions. It looks like I can taxi or shuttle from the Bergamo airport to the train station and take the train to Varenna via Lecco, then ferry over to Bellagio.

Does this look like the best option or is there a bus option? I'm looking for thrifty travel expenses as well as appreciating the beauty of the lanscape from a window.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
reviews: 78
1. Re: Bergamo to Bellagio,train or bus?

That's definitely the best route. Enjoy!

Seattle, Washington
2. Re: Bergamo to Bellagio,train or bus?

Thank you!

uk
reviews: 1
3. Re: Bergamo to Bellagio,train or bus?

Get the train! Its cheap and ok!

When you exit the Airport there is a bus stop for the bus in to Bergamo. You need change, it s 1.5 euros to the Train Station, the ticket machine is at the bus stop.

If you use a taxi expect to pay 20 euros.

I know some one who was ripped off, taken on a hours ride.

The bus takes approximately 15 -> 20 minutes. As you get on the bus you must stamp you ticket, look for a little machine as you get on the bus at the back doors, their at the front of the bus as well. This piece of advice applies to tickets you get for the trainss as well they all need stamping, watch out otherwise you get a fine.

The train to Varenna takes about 40-> 50 minutes. I had to change in Lecco. Once at Varenna walk out form the station and turn left you can take a little foot path down to the road. Keep heading for the lake. You can get a ticket for the ferry that will take you to Bellagio and on to Menaggio and back to Varenna. Bellagio is the nicer of the two. On the way back we stopped in Varenna for something to eat, avoid the cafe next to the ticket office turn left and there is a cafe accross a small bridge, with a deck. Pasta was 5 euros.

The train is cheap + when you change at Lecco you can have a look there. The views of the lake are intermitant form the trian as it goes through lots of small tunnels. Great view from Varenna train station.

Check for the train back, we did it in one day. Going back in May

Seattle, Washington
4. Re: Bergamo to Bellagio,train or bus?

mac1UK--Thanks for that input. I'll definitely bus to the train station and I'll be sure to stamp my ticket. Very helpful!

5. Re: Bergamo to Bellagio,train or bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, August 28, 2009