We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friday Market Ventimiglia

Which Ventimiglia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 72
Friday Market Ventimiglia

Hi we will be in Menton next month for two weeks. We will be arriving on a Friday and leaving on a Friday. We have one Friday available for this market. What should we be looking for at this market to take home. Any suggestions and guidelines to prices would help - looking for great deals,,thx W

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
1. Re: Friday Market Ventimiglia

There are nearly five hundred stalls, so the range of products is very large. Much of the quality is low to match the prices, so do not expect too many luxury goods, though you can even buy fur coats this time of year on some of the stalls which would sell mostly leather in summer. The only things I tend to buy at markets (not Ventimiglia, it's too busy for me) are cashmere, tablecloths and seat covers, and belts. But the markets wouldn't survive on people like me!

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 72
2. Re: Friday Market Ventimiglia

thank you that is exactly the type of information I was looking for. I am not a large shopper,,, I do buy quality items if it is coming from the area. So I guess selective- that is why I am looking at the markets and what they are known for. Example: china was jade and silk. ( out of the normal) If you have markets to suggest I would appreciate it.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
3. Re: Friday Market Ventimiglia

The three big markets just over the border from Menton all sell the same items - most of the stall-holders move from market to market. Ventimiglia's market is twice as big as the other two, and is easiest to get to from France with direct trains every thirty minutes. For the others, you must change trains in Ventimiglia, or get a bus from there.

If I have to go to an open market for some reason (usually visitors' requests) my favourite is at Bordighera on Thursday mornings - set all along the seafront like Ventimiglia's, but much less busy and much more friendly and relaxed. San Remo's (Wed and Sat am) is much less attractively laid out, but is set around the spectacular covered food market with is the largest for many miles around - maybe ten or fifteen times the size of Menton's own pretty little covered food market, which also has an open market (vegetables and trashy clothes) around it on some days, don't know which.

Liguria, Italy
reviews: 3
4. Re: Friday Market Ventimiglia

I have heard that French customs police swoop down on people bringing goods from the Ventimiglia market into France-- to what end, i've never been exactly sure. Any more information about this, or is this just urban legend?

Edited: 7:28 am, March 25, 2011
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
5. Re: Friday Market Ventimiglia

"To what end" - to fine them for importing fake imitations of branded items. The Italian police do this within Italy as well, once in a blue moon.

This is not an urban legend, but it happens incredibly rarely. The chances of any one person being caught and fined for being caught in possession of their new fake Gucci handbag manufactured in China with a fake Gucci label are near enough zero.

While the French police are usually waiting on the autoroute at the nearest toll station to the border with their guns at the ready, my impression is that they are normally looking for drug dealers, thieves and large-scale commercial crime - the vehicles I normally see being stopped are trucks, white freight vans and large black Mercedes occupied by shady-looking men. And for some reason the police are usually more interested in traffic leaving France than entering.

Liguria, Italy
reviews: 3
6. Re: Friday Market Ventimiglia

I see. Thanks for the info. I had once gotten the impression that local vendors on the French side had become so irritated at the loss of customers, flocking to Italy for the dirt-cheap prices, that they had demanded some show of law enforcement to discourage the border-crossing shopping. I wasn't sure if ordinary tourists were at any particular risk of getting fined. (They can be in places like Florence, where local merchants want the label-rip-off vendors put out of business.)

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
7. Re: Friday Market Ventimiglia

The one major French measure that was introduced six years ago to inhibit cross-border shopping was the prohibition of transport within France of more than 200 cigarettes without a licence. While this had an initial effect on Ventimiglia's trade, I see little sign of people taking any notice of it nowadays.

Vaasa, Finland
reviews: 23
8. Re: Friday Market Ventimiglia

Hello,

What time are the stalls closing approximately? (We will be taking a train from Cinque Terre / Genoa to Nice and it happens to be Friday so thought that we could take a look at the market on our way if we don't need to leave too early.)

Thanks!

M

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
9. Re: Friday Market Ventimiglia

Don't know exactly. But think it's around 1600-1700.

Nice, France
reviews: 28
10. Re: Friday Market Ventimiglia

I just went to the Friday Market At Ventimiglia: a complete waste of time and energy, most of the stalls sell low quality trashy clothes that you can find anywhere, there was one stall selling high quality cashmere but at 180 euro's cash for a collared cardigan that I could by at Brora for a lot less and probably better quality. We did have a lovely lunch at Marco Polo on the seafront, Excellent in everyway. I found a real Italian selling beach towels and there very thick and good quality. But did I need to go all that way, sweating on the overcrowded train from Nice. Nah, its not worth it.

Get answers to your questions about Ventimiglia