We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Spazia - do you really want to go there?

Which La Spezia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
reviews: 40
La Spazia - do you really want to go there?

I am currently in La Spazia and I wonder why anyone would come to this town. I haver never seen a place dirtier than this town. Of course, I'm here to go to Cinque Terre. We arrived yesterday afternoon by car. We then got on the train and went to Riomaggiore, thought we would have dinner there. Again, dirty and disgusting. Cigarette butts everywhere (one man threw his lit cigarette to the side and actually hit me), the tunnel from the train to Riomaggiore smells like urine. This whole place needs to be power washed. Unfortunately, we cannot get out of our hotel reservation so we are staying today. It's raining so we will get on that train again and try another village, hope it's better than the last one.

South Australia
reviews: 12
1. Re: La Spazia - do you really want to go there?

It is known as La Spezia, and due to Rick Steve, Cinque Terre has a very large number of American tourists !!

Edited: 5:29 am, September 29, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
2. Re: La Spazia - do you really want to go there?

If you had asked here before making a booking, you would have been told that Levanto is a much better place to stay than La Spezia.

NY
reviews: 72
3. Re: La Spazia - do you really want to go there?

The CT can be miserable when it is raining and maybe cold, and as noted La S. would not be the first or even second or third choice if not staying in one of the 5 villages.

But it is not only American tourists who crowd the place, I saw lots and lots from Asian countries - and they slog through in large groups even in the rain.

Boston...
reviews: 1
4. Re: La Spazia - do you really want to go there?

I visit La Spezia often and I think it's a very nice city. There are several good museums, a good outdoor market, and a pretty waterfront. It is definitely not dirty. I wonder why anyone with such a sour attitude would ever leave home.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
5. Re: La Spazia - do you really want to go there?

It's a naval city and most of the residents at one time or another work at the Otto melara arms factory which used to build tanks it's never been a tourist city it's only become more popular because of it's nearness to the Cinque terre and the fact that it has parking and good transport to the villages but as you will have noted there's not even that many hotels, you should have got info before you decided to stay there but I'm sure it hasn't helped that the weather's not good.

Redcar
reviews: 49
6. Re: La Spazia - do you really want to go there?

On a recent holiday to Tuscany (we based ourselves in Pisa) we intended to visit the Cinque Terre and arrived in La Spezia by train from Pisa. Whilst the traveller from Florida is, of course, entitled to his opinion my view is he is being a little harsh. The attitude to littering may be a little more loose in certain areas but to class the whole town as dirty is a bit OTT. In general we found the town had a certain charm with some nice buildings, a nice park near the marina and the trees, flowers and gardens gave it a relaxed air, with friendly people who were friendly and welcoming. The Italian attitude to life is far more relaxed and living life, eating good food, drinking good wine and being with friends and family is more important than picking up your cigarette ends. If you want sterility and a squeaky clean environment certain parts of Europe may not be for you.

7. Re: La Spazia - do you really want to go there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 02, 2014