We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Cinque Terre with our disabled daughter...

Which La Spezia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
WEST JORDAN
reviews: 1
Staying in Cinque Terre with our disabled daughter...

Our 14 year old daughter has bone cancer and is just learning to walk again. The Make-a-Wish foundation is sending us to Italy and my daughter desperately wants to visit Cinque Terre. We'd like to stay for three nights, and I want to find the best hotel for her needs. Not too much difficult terrain, but beautiful sights and things to do.

Can someone offer some advice to us, please?

canada
reviews: 10
1. Re: Staying in Cinque Terre with our disabled daughter...

Very challenging proposition. Italy is well known of cobbled streets which ruined a lot of ankles, hill towns with lots of steps, narrow streets even the old Fiat 500 cannot drive through.

Among the 5 ¨lands¨ only Riomaggiore has a level playing field, and roads for cars.

There are ramps leading to train stations.

New York City, New...
reviews: 10
2. Re: Staying in Cinque Terre with our disabled daughter...

Monterosso is the flattest of the CT villages and has a beach and the most hotels. CT is very tiny and there are not many hotels; there are rooms and B&Bs to book, but not too many hotels so I would suggest taking a look at photos of Monterosso and reading a bit more about the villages. As to things to do: it is mostly hiking, taking boat rides along the coast to various towns/villages and relaxing/swimming by the sea.

They are lovely but given the hilly terrain, I strongly recommend Monterosso.

Check www.venere.com for hotels in the area - you can sort there by needs, area, budget, etc.

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
reviews: 35
3. Re: Staying in Cinque Terre with our disabled daughter...

I concur that Monterosso would be the most suitable. Coming out of the station there are a number of hotels to the right in the new town facing out to sea and on the flat. Turning to the left the road has a slight incline up to the old town

United States
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Lucca
reviews: 13
4. Re: Staying in Cinque Terre with our disabled daughter...

Riomaggiore has very steep streets and so does Manarola. Vernazza has a gentler slope down from the train station to the harbor and Monterosso has the most flat area.

One real problem will be changing train tracks. Every station except Vernazza requires people to go down one long flight of stairs, walk under the tracks, and then up another long flight of stairs. Very rarely will the train stop at the track nearest the station. Vernazza has both tracks on the same level and an elevator to get down to the main street.

The ferry dock at Monterosso is from flat dock area but she would have to be able to balance well on the ramp to the boat. Vernazza has easy boat access but Monterosso and Riomaggiore involve climbs up stairs.

You can Google images of the villages to get an idea of the steepness involved in getting from the water to the village and even the steepness of the streets.

TAB

5. Re: Staying in Cinque Terre with our disabled daughter...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, October 01, 2012