We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Spezia as a base

Which La Spezia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
La Spezia as a base

i will be traveling from Zurich by train on 17 May (for 5 days) to the CT area, using La spezia as a base.

From here i want to visit Pisa (day Trip), Fivivzanno ( day trip to visit relatives) and spend a few days in CT area,( boat trip and hiking between towns) before training to Antibes in France.

I have a choice at staying at Hotel ca dei costa, Hotel Brillo, or Hotel Firenze. can any one suggest the best out of these hotels?

i need one with twin beds away from the noise of the railway station! BTW, do the trains run 24 hours in/out of the station that would keep me a wake at night. with thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
1. Re: La Spezia as a base

I would not recommend La Spezia. It is a commercial port town, with a very large naval base. And the trains run throughout the night.

You would do much better to stay in one of the Cinque Terre villages, which are only minutes away by train.

Mooloolaba Australia
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
reviews: 63
2. Re: La Spezia as a base

not on the hot list ..... with so many great choices ....Why.

What about Portovenere...Lerci....Levanto

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
3. Re: La Spezia as a base

Although La Spezia is convenient for transportation connections, it’s not the most attractive town.

Portovenere and Lerci don’t have train stations, so they too wouldn’t be the most convenient for you.

Levanto would be a good base and if you’d like to stay closer to Fivizzano in the Lunigiana consider Sarzana.

www.terredilunigiana.com/eng/sarzana.php

Vagabonda

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
reviews: 35
4. Re: La Spezia as a base

I would suggest the Firenze & Continental or the Venezia accross the road as both are convenient for the station. Failing that a number of my friends have stayed at the My Hotel and were very complimentary. As for the trains running through the night I stayed 3 nights in the Venezia (due to our appartment being flooded) which actually backs on to the staion and never noticed the trains during the night. and thought it was clean and good value for money. Any of the other hotels such as the Genoa, My Hotel, Astoria or Jolly are well away from the train lines although my own appartment is only 300 metres from the station and even in the summer with the windows open we do not experience any train noise.

And it may well have been a large naval base in years gone by but this has almost disappeared over the last 5 years and is now being replaced by this.

http://www.portomirabello.it/

5. Re: La Spezia as a base

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 15, 2010