We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice to Genoa & return by train

Which Genoa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Runaway...
reviews: 8
Venice to Genoa & return by train

We want to travel from Venice to Genoa and return from Genoa to Venice in late August this year.

Can we just purchase our tickets at the rail stations or would it be advisable to purchase and book before we leave Australia. If we need to book before leaving could you suggest where would be the best place, like travel agent or?

I find the rail booking site Trenitalia confusing.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
1. Re: Venice to Genoa & return by train

If you buy from a travel agent in Australia, or any agency, you will pay much more than if you buy from Trenitalia.

For the best prices, book direct with the train operator as far ahead as possible. Tickets go on sale 4 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. The discounted prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

You can get train times and costs from www.trenitalia.com using the Italian versions of city names.

If you can say exactly what you find confusing on the Trenitalia site, i could try to help.

Edited: 12:05 am, May 26, 2013
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
2. Re: Venice to Genoa & return by train

The chief things you need to know are

1. click the British flag at the top for English before entering stations

2. The station names to enter - Venezia S. Lucia and Genova Piazza Principe (Genova Brignole for the east side of the centre, but this has fewer direct trains from Milan).

3. Enter your desired 'hour' of departure - e.g. '13' for 13.00

You may well also have been confused by the fact that the full service of August trains from Milano Centrale to Genova (which you must use for the second half of the journey) only went online yesterday, but you can now book 120 days ahead from Venice to Genoa without any problems.

Runaway...
3. Re: Venice to Genoa & return by train

Thank you for your replies . If I book and purchase these tickets online from Trenitalia are they issued immediately and I can print them off or do I have to pick them up from a station. I have no experience booking trains online. I am beginning to understand the Trenitalia web site, thank you "perilizia" for your info regarding full service of August trains and 1. click the British flag.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
4. Re: Venice to Genoa & return by train

If you book online, you get "ticketless" travel. You get a booking reference number (PNR) which is your authority to travel. You should be sent an e-mail confirming the PNR and your seat booking, but sometimes this does not arrive. It is therefore a good idea to print the screen confirming these details that you see at the end of the booking process.

Runaway...
5. Re: Venice to Genoa & return by train

Thank you for your reply. I have managed to work out the Trenitalia site. When returning from Genoa to Venice I see the only train goes via Milano Rogoredo and Bologna Centrale. With these changes at each station would we have to change platforms and is 19 minutes enough time to do do that with luggage. We are in our early 70's.

I would very much appreciate your expert replies, you have helped me so much already.

Thanks

6. Re: Venice to Genoa & return by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 29, 2014