We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where is a good area to feel safe in to stay in Genoa?

Which Genoa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brampton, Canada
reviews: 2
where is a good area to feel safe in to stay in Genoa?

I'm a solo female traveler..and spending the night in Genoa...I am wondering if I will feel be safe staying in the area between Principe station (not too close) and the Garibaldi (caruggi) area? If not where would you recommend?

Brampton, Canada
1. Re: where is a good area to feel safe in to stay in Genoa?

someone please answer.....:)

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
2. Re: where is a good area to feel safe in to stay in Genoa?

I don't like answering questions about 'feeling safe' as feeling depends on the person. It also depends on what hotel you stay in, on what street, and whether you are tucked up in bed early or are wandering the streets in the small hours.

Any hotel above rock bottom prices on a main street with vehicular traffic (rather than a caruggio) should feel perfectly OK for most people There could be a few strange people in the Piazza Principe area who might disconcert some, but they are highly unlikely to be physically dangerous.

The area around the other main train station of Genova Brignole is perhaps slightly more reassuring, but this is a little further away from the mediaeval centre.

Brampton, Canada
3. Re: where is a good area to feel safe in to stay in Genoa?

thank you, any info helps

Florence, Italy
reviews: 16
4. Re: where is a good area to feel safe in to stay in Genoa?

I am a single female who is living in Camogli right now, but I go to Genova frequently (because I like it) and have felt very safe walking around most areas alone. I would stay away from the Maddalena area, perhaps... I have seen some interesting characters there, but I never felt threatened by the prostitutes. I was more uncomfortable when some of the men showed up who appeared to be dealing in drugs. I didn't go there intentionally, and I wouldn't go again, but it was certainly interesting, and far from my usual travel experiences.

Donegal Town...
reviews: 253
5. Re: where is a good area to feel safe in to stay in Genoa?

From wikitravel.org:

"Streets in Genoa are usually quite safe, especially in the main tourist areas and residential areas. Downtown, Quarto dei Mille, Quinto del Mare and Nervi are all safe districts during the day as well as the evening.

However, some limited areas in the historical centre off the main alleys might be subject to petty crime or just be uncomfortable for the general tourist (e.g. prostitutes waiting for clients in the middle of the day in dark side alleys just a couple of blocks away from a touristic attraction). Especially north of Piazza Caricamento/via Banchi/via Luccoli, around the Via Pré and in the Stazione Principe area, it is advisable to exercise extra caution and follow your common sense, e.g. avoid walking into narrower, darker, deserted alleys off the main paths unless you know where you are going. Pay special attention to your surroundings, avoid displaying flashy items and do not carry large amounts of cash or valuables."

http://wikitravel.org/en/Genoa

I think it's quite realistic...don't worry too much in Genoa, just common precautions...

6. Re: where is a good area to feel safe in to stay in Genoa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 17, 2014