We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A warning - low priced flights but high priced resorts

Which Genoa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
essex
reviews: 46
A warning - low priced flights but high priced resorts

We are a family of five and booked extremely low flights to Genoa because we have visited Italy before and love the country but have holidayed elsewhere for the past few years because we could not afford highly priced holidays in Italy for 5 people during peak season, which is the only time we can go because hubby is a teacher.

However, the low price tags for flights to Genoa are misleading, because once we started to surf sites for low cost self catering accommodation re - Owners Direct, Home and Away Rentals, we realised that even for just one week the prices are much higher than we expected, and airport transfers as well as train fares etc., for 5 people to get to a destination just a few miles far from Genoa are higher than we can afford.

Therefore we have opted for a city centre flat near the old harbour, hoping to make use of a public swimming pool nearby, and perpared to hike 4 kilometres to the nearest beaches that will also probably cost the earth to access.

If travelling alone or as a couple out of season it is probably worth the money but for a family peak season it is horrendously expensive, much more so than say Barcelona and the surrounding area, or anywhere in Croatia, so don't be fooled by low priced air fares.

South Australia
reviews: 12
1. Re: A warning - low priced flights but high priced resorts

Have you checked www.vrbo.com

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
2. Re: A warning - low priced flights but high priced resorts

Because the British do not use the low price accommodation in this area but go to Spain, Turkey etc. instead (which do offer better value for money), it is hard to find online as it is mainly marketed to Italians in Italian. But it does exist, particularly west of Genoa rather than in the more highly prices areas east of Genoa around Santa Margherita.

Even in August, it is possible, for example, to find accommodation for five in a Villagio bungalow from around €600 a week.

And while car transfers are certainly often very expensive, train fares by the Regional trains which run along the coast are cheaper than trains in the UK.

Note that there are no proper beaches within 4 km of Genoa - all Genoa's swimming places are artificial. If you want a beach, the nearest acceptable ones are probably at Arenzano to the west and Camogli to the east, both 30 minutes' train ride for around €3 each, each way. Both have considerable free beach (spiaggia libera) areas, but will be packed in August.

essex
3. Re: A warning - low priced flights but high priced resorts

Are you saying that it is only approx. 3 euros an adult fare to go to Camogli??

On another thread someone was saying that trains cost about 38 euros each to go as far as Rapallo, which I thought wasn't far from Camogli, or is my geography all off??

If it is so reasonable to go to Camogli by train we would rather stay in Camogli, there is a nice little house there that isn't cheap but good value with room for our 3 daughters.

Please advise.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
4. Re: A warning - low priced flights but high priced resorts

Check www.trenitalia.com - you will see the fares. Regional trains only appear on the schedule for 7 days ahead so to see schedules/fares, put in a date like May 5 and put in a low number like 7 in the box for the hour or "ore" so you will get the schedule for trains from 7 am onwards.

It is doubtful the schedule will change much, if at all, by the time of your trip so this will give you an idea of the schedule and fares - which are as Perilizia mentions.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
5. Re: A warning - low priced flights but high priced resorts

There are two main train stations in central Genoa. From Genova Brignole, on the east side of the centre, it's €2.60 to Camogli. From Genova Piazza Principe on the west side, it's €3.30.

To Rapallo from Brignole, it's €3.30 by the normal slower Regional trains without reserved seats. The highest possible normal second class one-way fare is €9.50 on the occasional fast Frecciabianca trains which are non-stop and on which your ticket includes a reserved seat. Where the €38 came from I have no idea - maybe an American using a high price ticket reseller rather than the train operator trenitalia and buying a first class seat on the most expensive business tariff?

For train fares in the area, see http://www.fsitaliane.it/homepage_en.html and use a date this week, as the Regional train fares are online more than seven days in advance. Buy tickets in Italy.

To transfer from Genoa airport to the train, you can either use the Volabus (dedicated and comfortable airport bus) to Brignole which is expensive at €6 each, or you can use a normal bus 124 to Genova Sestri Ponente station for €1.50 each and take the train from there. See www.airport.genova.it/v2/index.php…

essex
6. Re: A warning - low priced flights but high priced resorts

Thanks for that, this info really helps.

We arrive mid-morning so getting public transport will not be a problem.

In this case we would obviously prefer Camogli.

x

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
reviews: 34
7. Re: A warning - low priced flights but high priced resorts

Public transport in the UK is so much dearer in the UK than Italy

for Instance I fly frequently to Pisa and transfer to La Spezia the distance is 80 km.

The cost is bus 1.10 euro to Pisa Centrale

Train to La Spezia Centrale 6.40 euro (looks like its just gone up by 90 cents). although I usually prefer to pay the bit extra and get the faster trains. To get to Manchester airport from my house in Sheffield would probably cost

this x 3

If I go to the beach at Lerici or Portovenere the distance is 10Km and 14Km respectively the bus fare for a zone 3 ticket from La Spezia is 1.70 euro.

If I fly into Genova the only real additional cost is the Volabus which is a defined airport bus and costs 6 euro. However last time as I knew there was a train due I jumped in a taxi to Principe and it cost 24 euro.

The only means of transport I find expensive in Italy are taxis i.e a taxi from La Spezia to Pisa Airport is 150 euro which is like going fom my house in Sheffield to Manchester Airport which would cost me about £55 in a taxi and in particualr taxis in SML/Rapallo/portofino are pricey.

As for beaches there are usually free beaches I use the one in Lerici that is owned by the commune which does offer sun bed and umbrella hire (I pay 5 euro for a half day for a bed from noon) I also use Monterossos free beach but just use my towel. However next door to both are a number of beach clubs which charge an entrance fee if you want a bit more exclusivity it is no doubt like this around Genova.

As for the 38 euro fare you can go tall the way to Rome for 41.50 euro on an IC train from Genova and thats a standard fare

essex
8. Re: A warning - low priced flights but high priced resorts

@cudgey

Yes, we have travelled cheaply with Italian trains before, in Naples the Circumvesuviana is very reasonable, we used it several times, as well as the metro, we just assumed based on the prices given by a member that trains in the north were much dearer.

This really has put our minds at rest for like everyone else right now we are having to count the costs more and cannot afford to splash out.

x

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
reviews: 34
9. Re: A warning - low priced flights but high priced resorts

Just come accross this site with this particular property being in Rapallo but there are properties all the way down the Riviera levante and on into Versilia

http://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/437069

essex
10. Re: A warning - low priced flights but high priced resorts

@Cudgey,

Thanks.

Saw this apartment advertised on another site but was put off when the owner wanted either my husband or I to send a copy of our ID as well as a deposit, when questioned about this he said that he has to do this by law but whenever we have booked apartments in Italy we have never been asked to do this and have enquired with several other owners in Camogli etc., and they only require the deposit, not a copy of ID. This just doesn't sound right for although owners usually ask to see our passports when we arrive we have never before been asked to send ID beforehand.

Am wondering whether to report this.