We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way from Berlin to Cinque Terre & what's it like in Jan

Which Vernazza hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
reviews: 1
Best way from Berlin to Cinque Terre & what's it like in Jan

Hey there,

I am wanting advice to get from Berlin to Cinque Terre.

My main priority is saving time more so then money.

Would we be best to fly into Milan then catch the train to La Spezia?

Also has anyone been to C/Terre at the start of January? It's the only time we can get there and I'm a little worried being their off season, will restaurants etc still be open? I believe it starts getting dark very early!

Thanks in advance!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: Best way from Berlin to Cinque Terre & what's it like in Jan

I would think that the Cinque Terre would be mostly closed in January, and the walking tracks might well be closed. I would suggest you go somewhere else.

The closest airports are Pisa, Genoa, Florence, and Milan. You can get a train to the Cinque Terre from any of these places, but only Pisa and Milan Malpensa have train stations at the airport. You can get train times and costs from www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html looking for trains "from" one of these places and "to" the Cinque Terre village you want to visit.

The train line through the Cinque Terre is not a separate branch: it is part of the main line between Genoa and Pisa, but only local trains stop at these little villages. If you are coming from Genoa or Milan, you would not go through La Spezia.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
2. Re: Best way from Berlin to Cinque Terre & what's it like in Jan

Fly easyJet from Berlin to Pisa, though this is only twice a week in January. Then train from Pisa.

If flying to Milan, you do not usually need to go to la Spezia and backtrack. Look up your trains on http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html to the particular village you are going to, e.g. Monterosso.

The Cinque Terre in mid-winter are risky destinations. The weather could be beautiful, but it could well be cold, windy, gloomy and with torrential rain.

Sydney
3. Re: Best way from Berlin to Cinque Terre & what's it like in Jan

I think I'm going to risk it, we won't be out that way again, it's not so much about the trekking for us I just want to see the houses piled on the cliffs, we have found beautiful accom in Monterosso and we are happy to chill out there before heading to Rome.

Thanks for your answers.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
4. Re: Best way from Berlin to Cinque Terre & what's it like in Jan

In January, I think it is very likely that you will chill out.

Sydney
5. Re: Best way from Berlin to Cinque Terre & what's it like in Jan

Have you been in January?

Melboune
reviews: 114
6. Re: Best way from Berlin to Cinque Terre & what's it like in Jan

I endorse the suggestion to fly with Easyjet from Berlin (Schönefeld) to Pisa. We did this (in the other direction) recently, because the train connections between CT and Pisa were better than via Milan (we got a direct train from Levanto to Pisa Centrale). On the other hand, as already mentioned, Easyjet doesn't fly this route every day.

Edited: 9:04 am, July 19, 2011
7. Re: Best way from Berlin to Cinque Terre & what's it like in Jan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, October 10, 2012