We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cinque Terre area in August ?

Which Monterosso al Mare hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Eugene
Cinque Terre area in August ?

It's our first trip to Europe. We've booked the Rick Steves 14-day tour, ending in Rome Aug 19. Then we have 6 days on our own. We will have come from Venice, Florence, Tuscany and Rome, in addition to bits of France, Switzerland and Austria. After the fast-paced structure of the tour, I would like an area to kick back and relax. Was considering the CT area until I discovered this site. Looks like a very popular destination. Will it be too, too crowed in August? What's temp like in August? Hot and humid or is it dry?

Or should we consider someplace else?

Boston, MA
reviews: 30
1. Re: Cinque Terre area in August ?

We were in Cinque terre in July. It was hot, as most of Italy is in the summer, but not hot enough to stop us from having a great time there. We did get a simple but very nice place with good air conditioning (as a matter of fact there was a Rick Steves tour at our place). It is called the Hotel Villa Steno. We had a quiet room with a private balcony and a great view of the ocean. It does not have a pool, the lobby is small, and they only serve breakfast (in a nice breakfast area) but there are many wonderful places to eat in Cinque Terre.

london, UK
2. Re: Cinque Terre area in August ?

I lived at the 5 terre for over 10 years and my family is still there. August is going to be invaded by tourists more than July (that is charachterised by a more "elite" tourism). I would stay outside the Cinque Terre in places like Levanto or Bonassola. Look at "La Francesca" in Bonassola (it's a touristic village on the hillside, overlooking teh sea). I got married in Bonassola 10 years ago and my guests stayed all there, loving every minute of it.

You cna then go to the Cinque Terre by train on day/evening trips at your leasure, but you can avoid the crowds.

Try to avoid public beaches, unless you like people's feet in your face... sorry about beeing realistic.