We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italien Rivera

Which Cinque Terre hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jericho, New York
reviews: 6
Italien Rivera

We have 3 full days out of Nice, France to visit the italien rivera. Any suggestions for transportation and typical sights?

6 replies to this topic
Newton, MA
reviews: 116
1. Re: Italien Rivera

There is very good train service running all along the coast.

I enjoyed a very nice day in the town of Albenga, which is not too touristy yet charming and interesting.

I also very much enjoyed a day in Camogli and taking a boat from there to little San Fruttuoso, which has a small beach and an abbey that is open to the public. From there you can take a (somewhat strenuous but peaceful and beautiful) walk to Portofino from there.

Of course there's also the Cinque Terre, and also the town of Portovenere. And there's also Genova, which is somewhat underrated as a tourist destination and has great food.

If you'd like more specifics on trains/buses/boats and some specific suggestions of a place to stay, etc., please feel free to email me and I will send you a link to my travel blog with a lot of details.

Australia
reviews: 13
2. Re: Italien Rivera

we are a couple in our early 60's with mild knee issues. I've had conflicting views about whether we should include CT in our itinerary. Is it possible to avoid the walks and say train all the way from frst to fifth town and then approach a few towns by boat for lunch or siesta ? We have been to the main cities of Italy. We have a month in September with last week in Cortona (booked) and first week in Lugano and surrounds (booked). Everything in between still planning. All suggestions welcome ... cheers and happy NY to TRIPADVISOR community

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
3. Re: Italien Rivera

With the exception of Corniglia, the CT villages have a flight of steps from the train station to the street below. If you turn towards the sea, the pedestrianised street slopes fairly gently down to the harbour. If you want to walk from the station away from the sea, or take some of the walking trails, that is when you will encounter steep slopes and steps.

Corniglia is at the top of the cliffs and is reached from the station by a very large number of steps.

I am not sure whether the ferries will be running in September. They can be suspended at any time if there are dangerous sea conditions.

I should warn you that, with the exception of one main street, Cortona has *very* steep streets,

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
4. Re: Italien Rivera

The ferries run along the Cinque Terre coast from Monterosso to Portovenere throughout the whole of September, and while it is true they can be suspended because of weather conditions, you would be very unlucky if that happened to you.

To answer HoffiJericho's original question, which has been hijacked after only one reply, it all depends on how far you want to go, what time of year you are travelling and what you enjoy doing.

Outside of August when the traffic and parking are impossible, a rental car can be a good option if you are returning it to France and are not interested in the traffic-ridden city of Genoa or in the smaller Cinque Terre villages with their poor roads and parking, and an excellent option if you wish to visit inland areas which have bad public transport.

Along the coast, the train line serves all the main tourist destinations, with the exception of Portofino and of Lerici and Portovenere. which have bus and boat services from Satna Margherita Ligure and la Spezia respectively.

For a brief run-down of the whole coast, click the 'Seaside Emotions' PDF on turismoinliguria.it/turismo/…brochure.do and for attractions in Genoa see http://www.visitgenoa.it/en/homepage

Los Angeles...
reviews: 4
5. Re: Italien Rivera

Since you will be leaving from Nice, have you decided if you want to concentrate on the area of the coast west of Genoa or the area beyond Genoa?

6. Re: Italien Rivera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 pm, January 01, 2014

Reply to: Italien Rivera
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted