We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cinque Terre or Lake Como 1st?

Fort Lauderdale, FL
reviews: 42
Cinque Terre or Lake Como 1st?

We plan on flying into MXP And spending 4 days in Cinque Terre and 4 days In Lake Como (Varenna) then fly back home out of MXP. Any suggestions as to go to CT or Lake Como 1st?

5 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: Cinque Terre or Lake Como 1st?

I can't see why it would matter. You have to go though Milan anyway to travel between Varenna and the Cinque Terre.

reviews: 50
2. Re: Cinque Terre or Lake Como 1st?

I don't know how far out you are planning the trip. If it is a last minute thing I would check the weather and decide that way which place to go first. If its rainy or cloudy in Cinque Terre I would go to lake Como or the other way around. If you are planning it way ahead of time I don't think it matters which you do first

Edited: 10:19 pm, November 25, 2013
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reviews: 42
3. Re: Cinque Terre or Lake Como 1st?

Thanks for your responses. We plan on going next Sept.

I just thought it might be easier getting back to MXP airport from Varenna for our departure as it is closer than Cinque Terre. That way we wouldn't have to spend our last night in Milan. Am I correct in my thinking?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
4. Re: Cinque Terre or Lake Como 1st?

That depends on when your flight leaves. For a flight to the USA, you need to be at MXP at least 3 hours before scheduled departure, and the 05.26 train from Varenna would get you to MXP at 08.17.

The arrival time of your flight into MXP is also relevant, as you would want to get to your first destination at a reasonable time.

reviews: 38
5. Re: Cinque Terre or Lake Como 1st?

We went first to Cinque Terre, then to Cremoglia near Portafino and then Laga Orta which is only an hour taxi ride from the Milan Airport

That worked great with the last part of the trip close to the airport

Reply to: Cinque Terre or Lake Como 1st?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted