We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train France-Genoa-Monterosso

San Francisco...
reviews: 25
train France-Genoa-Monterosso

I'm planning our train journey from Nice, France to Monterosso (in one week!). The train from France arrives to Piazza Principe in Genoa, but the train to Monterosso leaves from Genova Nervi in Genoa. I can't seem to find- how to get from the one train station to the other? And, do I need to reserve these tickets now, or can we easily walk up and buy tickets same day? Then we could just figure it out there, much easier as we're leaving on our trip tomorrow morning. Advice, please!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
1. Re: train France-Genoa-Monterosso

You are mistaken about where you can catch the train to Monterosso. Usually you can make the change at Genova Piazza Principe or Genova Brignole, and there are some journeys that do not require any change.

Use www.trenitalia.com clicking on the UK flag and looking for trains from Ventimiglia to Monterosso.

If you are leaving tomorrow, there is no point in trying to buy now. So far as I can see, all the discounted tickets for tomorrow have sold out, so you will have to pay full price.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
2. Re: train France-Genoa-Monterosso

If you have already bought tickets for an Intercity train from Ventimiglia to Genova Piazza Principe, you simply transfer at that station. Almost all trains from Genoa to Monterosso call there.

If you have a long wait in Ventimiglia where you always have to change trains from France, you could also buy your tickets from Genova Piazza Principe to Monterosso there, rather than waiting until you get to Genoa.

There are three ticket machines and a ticket office in the Ventimiglia booking hall which is accessed from track 1.

San Francisco...
3. Re: train France-Genoa-Monterosso

Let me clarify... we're leaving on our general trip today, but this train ride France to Italy is in 6 days.

I was using the SNCF site for France and the Trenitalia site for Italy, and the first said the train would go from Ventimiglia to Genova Piazza Principe, and the Trenitalia site said Genova Nervi to Monterosso. We could wait for a train that leaves from Piazza Principe instead, but the time would be very inconvenient- long wait. Is there a way to easily get from PP to G Nervi or are they far apart?

San Francisco...
4. Re: train France-Genoa-Monterosso

Okay, I tried again putting in Ventimiglia to Monterosso and I see other options but now I have to coordinate timing with getting from Menton to Ventigmiglia. Just more complicated since it's 2 countries, 2 websites. that part might be a question for a France forum, unless you know here if for those France trains I can just walk up and easily buy a ticket last minute to get on a train.

San Francisco...
5. Re: train France-Genoa-Monterosso

Sorry, I tried voyages-sncf and it doesn't recognize Menton to Ventimiglia or Menton to Monterosso, only works to search the Genoa to Monterosso leg separately. Maybe I'm going about this search all wrong, or should just figure it out when I get to the station and not worry about reserving any seats now?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
6. Re: train France-Genoa-Monterosso

SNCF, in a determinedly monolingual fashion, often uses 'Vintimille' which is French for Ventimiglia rather than 'Ventimiglia'.

Though I suppose it's also possible that their web team have not yet entered the emergency timetable (because of tunnel repairs) which begins on October 1 and is here …ter-sncf.com/Images/Paca/Tridion/Affiche_tr…

The fare from Menton to Ventimiglia is €3. There are no reserved seats and no advance reductions on these local trains, so there is very little point in advance purchase.

San Francisco...
7. Re: train France-Genoa-Monterosso

Thank you for the information, and I won't worry about the Menton to Ventimiglia leg then, it sounds easy!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
8. Re: train France-Genoa-Monterosso

In reply to your earlier question about getting to Genova Nervi, there is unlikely to be any point. Almost all trains to Monterosso call at Genova Piazza Principe before they reach Nervi, so if the connection isn't given, it will also not be possible by any alternative means of transport. There are just one or two which start their journey at Genova Brignole and therefore don't call at Piazza Principe, but too few to worry about.

Don't use Genova (tutte le stazione) which means Genoa (all stations) when using the Trenitalia website. It give odd results..

9. Re: train France-Genoa-Monterosso

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, September 29, 2014